2019 Tacoma 2.7 delayed cold start noise

I did solve it. At least it has not made the noise since January 11. Probably should have been more patient, as advised. But it sounded so bad. I swapped out other things, just chasing it. Noise was still there. The last 2 things solved it. I’m sure it was just one, but since both were done at the same time, I could only guess which one it was. #1, my mechanic had put on an aftermarket serpentine belt when the tensioner was replaced and the noise started shortly after. I got to researching the pages of how many say to only use a Toyota OEM serpentine belt. The aftermarket one was indeed more rubber and tacky feeling. My thought was it could be slightly out of line and chirp or chatter the tensioner. I saw videos of this exact thing happen on other vehicles. So I bought an OEM and put it on. It felt much different to the touch. #2 At the same exact time, my secondary catalytic converter started making an awful rattle. Took it to my muffler man. He said the insides were completely detached loose and agreed this was most likely my intermittent start up rattle. It took a while for whatever was rattling on start up, to finally break. I would lean towards #2 solving my issue, but when I felt the difference between OEM and aftermarket serpentine, I could not believe it. That’s my story, and no noise for 2 months now, with our temps literally ranging from Zero to Seventy here in Nashville the last 2 months. I’m confident it’s solved.

Did he replace the secondary cad? I will look into both of these. Crazy tho it is the exact same sound. My olcdalso got the best of me man. Thank you for posting, I'm glad you got it fixed. I'll make sure to check and see if I have the oem belt on my truck or if it was replaced by the original owner! I'm guessing it's factory. So I'll have to check the secondary cad.

Secondary. Primary was checked and fine, which was weird. But it was a replacement for a stolen one a long time ago. The belt was again, me just trying to fix the noise.

So, I give up to the gremlin; haha. After almost 3 months it made the same noise (however not as loud). I give up and give in. Maybe the Mobil one high mileage 0/20 helped quiet it some, when it did do it. Who knows?? For taco lover also chasing this, the only consistent thing I noted, was when my temperature is above 70, then drops to 50, is when it has happened. But weird, 50. Colder and it has never done it, even down to Zero. Warm and running hard the day before, then 50 next morning. That is the only thing I can count, as to when it happens. That being said, I’m bowing to the Toyota gods and putting the hammer down and let it eat. It will do it or not. Until it does it more often; Gremlin!

The internals of the CAT may have shaken loose again. I know these are expensive but consider replacing it. Ot at least remove it for inspection to confirm or eliminate the noise source.

18 2.7 owner here, same issue. I figured it was a VVTI issue, but no luck. Checked cat, no luck. Belt, no luck. I’m completely lost. Has anyone found anything that has solved the issue? Mine does it more often near the 3,000 mile mark in oil change intervals. Fresh oil, goes away. That’s the only thing I’ve noticed.

Any luck I have a 2017 with this same issue. I was searching for this exact noise and your video is the same exact noise. Had the noise stick once and was also able to get it to go off by turning off the truck! Let me know what you find
Same problem but worse!!

Same problem but worse!!
I have narrowed mine down to oil flow on start up. It 100% does not ever do it once we reach Spring and stays over 50 degrees. Not ever once has it made this noise from Spring through today. I mean NEVER. I still maybe wrong on this, but I have eliminated so many other things. So, after much research on viscosity, I switched to Mobil One 0/20 Advanced Fuel Economy synthetic. Just because it is still the Toyota recommended weight and all kinds of reviews stated no cold start up rattles because it flows quicker. I did an oil change in the Spring with absolutely no noise on cold start after a complete drain / filter / oil change. Can’t wait to see if it stays gone as colder temps are getting here. Just did next oil change again last week. All good, no noise. Just waiting on 50 degrees or below.

I've got a 3.5 v6 that doesn't like it much when it gets colder than -10 degrees. Truck will let out what sounds exactly like a very painful groan. It's runs perfectly fine otherwise. No one thats heard it knows what it could be, as it only does it for a split second as soon as it fires up.

I have narrowed mine down to oil flow on start up. It 100% does not ever do it once we reach Spring and stays over 50 degrees. Not ever once has it made this noise from Spring through today. I mean NEVER. I still maybe wrong on this, but I have eliminated so many other things. So, after much research on viscosity, I switched to Mobil One 0/20 Advanced Fuel Economy synthetic. Just because it is still the Toyota recommended weight and all kinds of reviews stated no cold start up rattles because it flows quicker. I did an oil change in the Spring with absolutely no noise on cold start after a complete drain / filter / oil change. Can’t wait to see if it stays gone as colder temps are getting here. Just did next oil change again last week. All good, no noise. Just waiting on 50 degrees or below.
I'm in the same boat but mine is now doing it anytime I let the truck sit 4+ hours I had the VVT gears and chain replaced and it was good for like a week. I ordered a new VVT solenoid and screens it has to be oil flow-related. In my case, the sound lasts for 30 seconds straight so it is a matter of time. I'm looking for a new engine right now. it's a 2.7 I got it because it is supposed to be reliable.

Well, it made the rattle this morning. 50 degrees. However it was very short in duration, just longer ones to come. Dang, thought I had it. So do I go thicker oil? Or give up and drive till something breaks.

Oddly enough mine had a check engine come up on my way to work and it hasn't ratted since. I got it checked out at the parts store and I had a P0013 and P0420. I'm already figuring I need a new engine so am just driving it anyway. The light just shut off when I started my truck this morning and no rattle even though it was 45 out. I don't know what is going on. I am taking it in at my local trusty mechanic hopefully it is something electrical he can fix. since I have new gears, chains, and guides, all that is left is a tensioner and solenoids unless it is something the the PCM.

Sounds like these 3.5 v6 engines on their cleaning cycle. Idk whatever the 2.7 noise is, but if I had to guess oil pressure is slow getting to where its suppose to be.

Last edited:
Gotta ask the toyota god.....he seems to have a video on everything. I never owned a 2.7, or saw another that made noises like this.
Even my 3.5 is a lot quieter.

he did tear the engine apart on a Gen2 tacoma with the 4cyl that was slappin something or another
it was the one with the snow plow attachment, if memory serves I

Back