The ticking noise should be from the direct fuel injection system, some vehicles are louder than others. If you are still concerned and do not think it is normal or is coming from another area, get a dowel rod (round piece of wood, a broom handle works well) about 2 to 3 feet long. Place one end on the fuel injector and your ear at the other, the sound should travel through the wood. If the sound is not emanating from there, safely place the dowel close to where the sound is coming from (take caution of moving parts such as the pulleys and belts).

Thank you for the information. I was told the same thing( fuel injection system). My buddy has the same year and make and his doesn't make the noise. I wish it wasn't there!.

Thank you for the information. I was told the same thing( fuel injection system). My buddy has the same year and make and his doesn't make the noise. I wish it wasn't there!.
Check the engine cover, some have noise deadening material, and some don't. If it is there, but not really dense, you can find more dense material to replace it with. If you are creative, and have u-pull-it yards near you, look for any late model BMW (6 cylinder or V8, 4-cylinders are hit or miss) and remove the material from underneath their engine covers. The foam is very dense and really quiets the sound. Plus, this material can handle under hood heat extremely well.

If your buddies engine is a 4 cylinder, it won't. Most 3.5 v6's sound similar. Like said, some do get louder than others, especially if on the cleaning cycle. It shouldn't be so loud you can hear it in the cab idling with the windows closed.

If your buddies engine is a 4 cylinder, it won't. Most 3.5 v6's sound similar. Like said, some do get louder than others, especially if on the cleaning cycle. It shouldn't be so loud you can hear it in the cab idling with the windows closed.
Correct, the 4-cylinder won't make the same fuel injection noise, as those use only port injection, not direct injection like the V6s.

Back