2022 Bluetooth/CarPlay Issues

Oncorhynchus

Hello everyone,
I have a four door TRD short box that we purchaed this past summer. Since ownership we have had issues with bluetooth and Carplay where there is a constant buzzing sound in the background and often “crackling/break-up” when talking.

We have encountered this with several phones (both iphones and androids) as its a work truck. We noticed that when talking on phone (while truck is off and Bluetooth not engaged all phones are fine), then when starting truck - the background buzzing and cracklin starts up. So its obviously the bluetooth.

Toyota service thought it was the head unit and replaced it. That wasnt resolving issue.

Then replaced the wiring harness. Not resolved.

Then replaced the microphone. Not resolved.

Anyone have similar issue and if so, was it resolved and how? Only thing left that I can think of is the wiring may be affected by poor grounding or not being “shielded” from something.

To note: we dont have this issue in our Sienna w Carplay, or 2014 Tundra (bluetooth only).

Tnx in advance for any resolutions!

Yes, I am having the same issues with my 2023 TRD. Everyone complains about the bluetooth sound quality. I use Whatsapp a lot and it doesn't work very well if at all most times. The whole thing just seems quirky.

Try using a friend’s phone to test.
-If the problem persists, it’s probably a vehicle issue.
-If no problem, it might be a phone compatibility issue.

A possible solution is to use the less than convenient wired CarPlay and avoid the Bluetooth issue.

When plugged in and CarPlay active make a call once on call swipe down from upper right corner and notice microphone menu / select voice. This greatly helped my buzzing sound but still have other issues with the head unit.

Back