2023 Tacoma SR5 - Biggest tire/rim that needs zero modifications.

Paporolo

Hello all,

I recently bought a 2023 Tacoma SR5 D-Cab. I’m looking to add minor mods, nothing crazy as I’m just regular Joe that loves the way the truck looks.

I want to start of with the wheels/tires, I am looking to put the biggest wheels/tires the truck can handle WITHO having to do any lifts, etc. I was ‘hoping’ I could have a little offset so the tire stuck out of the truck’s body… and give that beefy look. I want to try and keep the best mpg ( I understand that bigger tires mean less mpg) but hoping the right size I’m looking for doesn’t hurt the mpg too bad.

I know nothing about trucks and tire sizes, this is part of my little learning journey so I appreciate the help in advance.

-Danny

If you are not going to do any serious off roading you should add a few inches in height first with a budget lift or at least spacer lift.

Curious..... What's wrong with the current wheel/tire combo???

Maybe you have $2-3000 laying about without purpose.

Generally, when people begin "minor mods" to their truck they end up with all sorts of surprises........not the good kind either.

Suggest staying with what you have and ignore your posse's opinions.

Allow me to be a little more helpful.

You could try a quickie to see if you like the wheels poking outside of the truck with some wheel spacers. These are installed between the hub and wheel. Mind the thickness. You need to watch the thread engagement of the studs and lug nuts. This will allow you to easily go back to stock without a big investment of $$. Plus you don't need to monkey about with mounting/balancing/installing new wheels and tires.

If the "look" makes you happy, then you should consider a more permanent solution. Look for wheels with a different offset than your stock wheels. I think a negative offset will push the tire towards the outside of the truck. Be aware, wheel dimensions a typically in millimeters.

Keep in mind, as the wheels move outside of the fender/flare, more road schmutz will be thrown onto the side of the truck body. This all also give insight to possible tire rub when the steering is turned to the locks.

I spent 1200 on my tires and wheels from extreme off-road and custom Screenshot_20230820-181746.pnglevel 8 is company I did 17 x 9 but would do 8s next time with 0 offset 4.5 backspace.and I put on 265-70-17 .I like the 16inch choices for tires better also.

Back