Automatic Shift Lever Sticks In Park

bhdpal

72 year old Newbee in love with my '07 Tacoma 4x4 access cab automatic 5 speed V-6 towing package. Haul ATV in bed, canoe on roof rack & tow popup camper. Lots of hunting, canoeing and fishing. Lots of backwoods off road to reach best spots. Proud to be a member of this forum with like minded folks.

Recent problem! The automatic shift lever locked up in PARK after starting & could not move it into reverse or drive. Tried turning engine off & restarting, no go. Finally put a little muscle on the shift lever and it went into reverse and drive.

Can Anyone tell me what caused this problem? I would like to know ahead of time before I take it to a mechanic.

Is this bad? I was driving on the highway going about 65 and I went across a bridge and hit a bump and all of a sudden my truck goes into 2nd gear so I had to throw it back into drive...

You are fine. Modern vehicles are idiot proof. If the ECU doesn't like something it won't do it. I hit reverse in my ex's Scion while rolling at about 20mph by accident. The engine revved like if I selected neutral.

Don't go trying anything like that though.

I definitely wouldn't do something like that on purpose. It was just an "oh s***" moment for me.

72 year old Newbee in love with my '07 Tacoma 4x4 access cab automatic 5 speed V-6 towing package. Haul ATV in bed, canoe on roof rack & tow popup camper. Lots of hunting, canoeing and fishing. Lots of backwoods off road to reach best spots. Proud to be a member of this forum with like minded folks.

Recent problem! The automatic shift lever locked up in PARK after starting & could not move it into reverse or drive. Tried turning engine off & restarting, no go. Finally put a little muscle on the shift lever and it went into reverse and drive.

Can Anyone tell me what caused this problem? I would like to know ahead of time before I take it to a mechanic.

Did you move the steering wheel with the truck im park?

Did you move the steering wheel with the truck im park?
I had the same problem a few months ago on my 07 Pre-runner. Turns out there's a switch on the brake pedal arm that when functioning as it's supposed to allows you to shift the automatic transmission into drive/reverse.
This switch can be adjusted or replaced.
In my case it had to be replaced.
Check YouTube videos for how to.
I bought replacement switch from RockAuto.
Good luck.

Idk if the 07 has a cable actuated transmission like the new tacoma shifters have, but it's worth a check. Those cables need to be lubricated, or they will bind up not allowing the gear shift to move.

Idk if the 07 has a cable actuated transmission like the new tacoma shifters have, but it's worth a check. Those cables need to be lubricated, or they will bind up not allowing the gear shift to move.
Replacing the switch did the trick for me.

Back