Bed Liner/Rubber Mat Question

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by cornerrat, Feb 28, 2021.

1. cornerrat

cornerrat New Member

I just purchased a 2021 Tacoma yesterday. The dealer threw in on the deal a Toyota rubber mat for the six foot bed. (which I wanted)

My question. I was thinking could there be a possible future moisture issue with that rubber mat sitting on top of the factory bed liner? One wouldn't think so and I didn't think to ask one of their car techs. But moisture and time itself could have some type of effect. I wouldn't think rust could develop. Maybe a staining (color issue) between the two? ?

I figure many owners out in "Tacoma land" has had the same set up for years and can give me the answer. Thanks!

Rat

Cape taco, Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

The bed of the Tacomas are plastic so dont think youll have trouble with rust!

4. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

I've had mine for two-years now and haven't noticed any moisture or staining.

5. Cape taco

Cape taco Well-Known Member

I'm going on 3 years with mine , it was in my 03 tundra so I kept it and cut it to fit the Taco. I take it out on a sunny day hose the bed let it dry and put it back in . No problem.

6. tacojoel

tacojoel Well-Known Member

I've had bed mats and bed liners in trucks with steel beds for years, yeah they attract moisture and some surface rust, but the taco has a composite bed so i wouldn't think there'd be an issue. I have a tonneau cover on my 2020 tacoma...it gets pretty hot in there, i haven't noticed ant moisture under my bed mat thats been in there for a year now.

7. Scott Wyman

I take mine out just to rinse the dirt out every now and then.

8. Chucky

Chucky Member

I'm thinking about getting the mat. I'm new to Tacoma's, and heard the composite bet is quite slippery when wet.

9. TucsonSteve

TucsonSteve Well-Known Member

The bed liner is a must! It is cheap and keeps things from sliding around sooo well. Don’t think just get it!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  10. tacojoel

Get a bed mat, you won't regret it. Like said, keeps stuff from sliding everywhere. Gator sells a decent one to.

11. Scott Wyman

Not just when wet. Without a mat stuff slides at the slightest turn.

Jersey Black Beauty likes this.
  12. Chucky

Chucky Member

Yeah, I just discovered that. Wasn't sure what to expect from the composite bed.
    Looks like a good idea. I'll probably get the Toyota one caus I like the big logo. Then I'm planning a speaker upgrade. Maybe an amp if it can be hid out of sight.

13. tacojoel

Imo, you need to be a little more careful what gets thrown in those composite beds. You can crack one a lot easier than steel.

14. Chucky

Chucky Member

:eek:

15. Scott Wyman

Mine survived 5 loads of rock like this. 20200915_184703.jpg

tacojoel and Cape taco like this.
  16. Cape taco

I saved the 1 from my' 03 tundra hardly had to trim anything off but glad I kept it.

17. tacojoel

I've had everything from bags of concrete to snowblowers in my trucks bed, no problems. Its when their dropped in like those rocks, or some cement blocks you could have an issue, Just stacking them in the bed i wouldn't worry.

18. Jersey Black Beauty

Jersey Black Beauty Well-Known Member

Pretty sure these Beds a Composite,, No Rust

Scott Wyman and tacojoel like this.
  19. tacojoel

Yup, bed itself is composite. The rest of the outer beds skin is steel.

20. Don Drake

Don Drake Active Member

The biggest reason you need a bad mat is to stop things from sliding. The composit bed is slick. In fact, I've seen compsit beds that have been sprayed with Rhino Lining and the lining started to separate in a realtively short time.

21. Cape taco

Or rot from under neath like my friends 2016 ford f250 did