Borla model 14597 exhaust successfully installed

Adam Gendron

Hey all I just installed a Borla exhaust on my 1997 Taco. It’s a 5 lug lx with a standard bed and an extra cab. It was a really interesting install. Everything went well. The old exhaust from the cat back came off easily and the new system went on great!

Until I came to the tail pipe. That system, although the wheel base stats say it will fit, does not. If you have an extended cab, or an extended bed you will need to have the tailpipe modified.

I called Borla for help and guess what?! They covered the cost of the tail pipe mod. My truck sounds great, the throttle is smoother and I’m on the road!

Attachments

• 33543530-1D43-4E98-B386-82F839EA8C93.jpeg
    33543530-1D43-4E98-B386-82F839EA8C93.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • CBA0CEBD-E17D-4460-A17E-98E03B9CC1E0.jpeg
    CBA0CEBD-E17D-4460-A17E-98E03B9CC1E0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
you must not have a bunch of rusty crusty exhaust fasteners to deal with!

i have been trucking the Borla catBack like yours for almost 170k miles on my '97

you must not have a bunch of rusty crusty exhaust fasteners to deal with!

i have been trucking the Borla catBack like yours for almost 170k miles on my '97
I'm in CA so I am pretty lucky when it comes to rust. Did you also have to modify your tailpipe for that black beauty of yours?

I'm in CA so I am pretty lucky when it comes to rust. Did you also have to modify your tailpipe for that black beauty of yours?
no tailpipe mod was needed, but the yota mechanic i paid 150$ to remove the original rotted yota muffler (it had a big split at the muffler seam and was leaking making nosie) and catBack piping earned his keep because of the seized bolts near the cat he had to drill out... i just hope for the heck that i don't ever start developing leaks around that cat or the front piping... its become a tad crusty around there :mad:

a couple of nuts, behind the muffler and the two O2 sensor are crusty now after several years, i need to find some better quality replacements that resist corrosion

regarding the borla tailpipe... its one thing i found i am not 110% thrilled with
it sits LOW under the back and the hottish fumes i think have degraded the rear mudflap white lettering. it looks old and tired compared to the other side mudflap

Yeah I did shear off one of the bolts on the old exhaust where the O2 sensor goes in. Hey maybe if you extend that tailpipe and the little hanger rod like the muffler guy did on mine, it will stop the heat from messing up your mud flap. Mine sits way back and is tight to the body. I'll show you a better pic.

i need a current pic of that mudflap to show the weathering done, that other pic is after it was installed... nice white letters

this guy at that other place shoulda went with the 1 million mile warranty Borla system...

I pay $400 for the aftermarket junk that last about 3 years here in Mass.

Hey all I just installed a Borla exhaust on my 1997 Taco. It’s a 5 lug lx with a standard bed and an extra cab. It was a really interesting install. Everything went well. The old exhaust from the cat back came off easily and the new system went on great!

Until I came to the tail pipe. That system, although the wheel base stats say it will fit, does not. If you have an extended cab, or an extended bed you will need to have the tailpipe modified.

I called Borla for help and guess what?! They covered the cost of the tail pipe mod. My truck sounds great, the throttle is smoother and I’m on the road!
Surprised you went with an aftermarket system other than stock. I've heard these 4 and 6 cylinders trucks with them. To be honest all 4 and 6's sound like chit when made louder. The TRD exhaust is about as far as I'd go. These aftermarket systems sound pretty good in a v8, but not anything with fewer holes.

Surprised you went with an aftermarket system other than stock. I've heard these 4 and 6 cylinders trucks with them. To be honest all 4 and 6's sound like chit when made louder. The TRD exhaust is about as far as I'd go. These aftermarket systems sound pretty good in a v8, but not anything with fewer holes.
It's not as bad with this borla borla as you might think
It's actually super quiet Imho
Unless my ears are shot Lol

Last edited:
My neighbor has a borla exhaust in his chevy 2500 v8 pickup. Sounds good, but loud. He's had it in the truck for at least 10 years. I can hear every time he fires the truck up from inside my home, and i'm well over 200' away from his driveway. If outside i know its him a 1/4 mile away before i see him.

Man! I think my truck sounds really good! It’s got a really nice low purr!

My neighbor has a borla exhaust in his chevy 2500 v8 pickup. Sounds good, but loud. He's had it in the truck for at least 10 years. I can hear every time he fires the truck up from inside my home, and i'm well over 200' away from his driveway. If outside i know its him a 1/4 mile away before i see him.
When I was shopping for new exhaust and looking at the borla catalogue they have many types with different notes. Some of which I think are tunable?

Man! I think my truck sounds really good! It’s got a really nice low purr!
Man mine sounds better than that exhaust leak on the rotted OEM muffler lol

I have a pic of what came off my rig somewhere
It's all nasty
Lol

I never heard any type aftermarket system sound good on engines less than 8 cylinders, especially those with big fart cans attached. I recently heard a magnaflow on a v6 tacoma....sounded horrible. The trd muffler isn't bad if time for new exhaust.

regarding the borla tailpipe... its one thing i found i am not 110% thrilled with
it sits LOW under the back and the hottish fumes i think have degraded the rear mudflap white lettering. it looks old and tired compared to the other side mudflap

this looks a better spot for tailpipe placement but will need customizing somehow someway
for how much??

John in Denver  tailpipe up high.jpg

Back