brake drum gasket?

I have done a good amount of searching on the interwebs and come up blanks so far
and Yet the parts diagram shows my rig as having a gasket in the rear drum area :eek:
With a part# even

You probably mean the seal. It's there to keep gear oil from leaking into the drum. A lot of diy'ers don't change it much to their later regret.

You probably mean the seal. It's there to keep gear oil from leaking into the drum. A lot of diy'ers don't change it much to their later regret.
i took another look at the diagram and now i see two gaskets! the other one is what you note i reckon
the diagram for my rig shows a brake drum gasket
42444R and it looks like it goes on the inside of the drum? and mates to the rear axle shaft where the hub bolts are in
IDK LOL!

Toyota dealer parts calls it wheel hub gasket

1,70 is MSRP in Febr-2o24

410475.png

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/us...train-chassis/4102_rear-axle-shaft-hub#42444R

470418A.png

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/us..._rear-drum-brake-wheel-cylinder-backing-plate

Last edited:
i need to consult the FSM pdfs i have and see what it has if anything

what page might that be on? brakes or axle section?

the pdf manual is a belaboured effort to find anything with ease in 1600+ pages

even doing the math on the TOC to find the goto page is cumbersome LOL

Got something to pry and brake free a bit with those screws
I think the shoes are grabbing back there though
Still is not budging!
IMG_20220719_173847_125.jpg

if i freed up the drum seizure from axle hub and the shoes are not 'stuck' which they should not be if i am getting good braking to the best of my knowledge, what else could it be seized to inside there?
perhaps the drum surface is 'grooved' a bit much and the shoes cannot overcome the 'lip'
the handbrake is off but i can double check that LOL
maybe take it out of gear and put in neutral, would that help out at all?

I use to have an issue on my gen1 tundra where the rear shoes use to seize up sometimes when using the hand brake. You'd notice the hand brake cable hanging loose from under the passenger side rear drum to center of the differential. Those external hand brake drum levers for the cable would seize up at their pivot points. You'd need to take them apart, clean, and grease them good. At times when i found them struck, i carried a 4lb hammer, and gave them a good whack to free the brakes until able to fix the issue.

I use to have an issue on my gen1 tundra where the rear shoes use to seize up sometimes when using the hand brake. You'd notice the hand brake cable hanging loose from under the passenger side rear drum to center of the differential. Those external hand brake drum levers for the cable would seize up at their pivot points. You'd need to take them apart, clean, and grease them good. At times when i found them struck, i carried a 4lb hammer, and gave them a good whack to free the brakes until able to fix the issue.
Just got it off!
I needed to keep wrenching those pry screws slowly whilst hitting drum all sides with the rubber mallet
It's a mess inside not being removed and cleaned in over 110k miles
Had 3 monkey Toyota techs in the past telling me they could not remove these to clean and adjust and tried everything... I call BS to that
Going to have to empty half a can of brakleen into this and look for corrosion on springs etc

inside brake drum driver side.jpg

Last edited:
this certainly does not look very swell
could this be why the handbrake sometimes does not free in the mornings from being engaged overnight?

IMG_20220720_103558_919.jpg

bell crank internal driver side.jpg

Last edited:
Back