Corrosion spray recall notice

sirmat2k

'05 Super Cab, offroad pk
Just went to pick up my '05 after 2 days thinking it was going to be all done with the corrosion spray. Well, apparently the frame is so bad they requested to the factory to replace the entire frame. Just got the approval this afternoon. I'm wondering if this is a good thing or not? Sure it's a new frame, but everything attached to it is still 9 years old. Is this going to create problems with any thing being removed and reattached? I'm not looking forward to driving a rental car for at least a month. Would Toyota be up to making an offer for my truck with say, an extra 20% or so for a trade in?
Just looking for anyone's thoughts on this please.
Thanks.

Mine is also an '05. In my opinion, it was a good thing. I have about 76,000 on it. I have taken very good care of it. They replaced the frame, rear leafs, brake lines from the firewall back, a couple of wire harnesses, brake fluid, coolant, power steering fluid, and any misc. hardware that was needed. My dealership had it for a week and a half, would have been a week but, one of the wire harnesses were back ordered.

How much did they charge you for all of that? I heard that they will only cover the frame only. The dealership told me if anything else needs fixed that I would be responsible for the part(s), not labor. But with it being 9 years old I'm just a bit worried about things like motor mounts, shocks, basically anything thats going to attach to it. Maybe I'm just over stressing about it. It's probably because they stuck me in a Sienna to drive while I'm waiting for my truck to get fixed and they said it'll be at least a month before they expect a frame.

Big fat 0! Not sure of the details but, I would say if it's connected to the frame it must be covered under the recall. They showed me the total cost, labor and parts. It was over 12,000. I don't know where you live but, a month sounds like a long time, unless the truck isn't safe to drive and they need to order the frame. Mine was "safe" to drive until the frame came in.

Wow, that sounds like a good deal then. I live in northern Indiana. They said it would take that long to get a frame in. I'm fine putting miles on their vehicle though. I've got 140k on my truck now. I was telling a guy at work about it and he said he had a 2000 tacoma and a couple of years ago he took it to the same dealership for an oil change. After about 30 mins they came out & told him his truck is too unsafe to drive because of the frame. He said his truck was book valued around $6k and Toyota gave him around $13k for a trade in, so he was ok with that. They didn't tell me I could drive mine until the new frame came in, they just said they'll get me back into a rental. So I'm not sure how bad mine is. I go back tomorrow to get a different vehicle, camry or corrolla most likely, so I'll ask them more about it then.

The early 2000 T-100 or Tundra's had the same problem we are having now. I've heard of people getting bought out of their tundras and Toyota scrapped them. I haven't heard of that with the Tacoma's yet. I'm surprised there wasn't more posts about this from other people? God knows there are tons of Tacomas that were recalled!

Also, as far as the rental car went. I needed a truck to do a home project I was in the middle of at the time, told them. They put me in an F-150, gas mileage sucked but, I needed it. I was happy to get my Tacoma back.

You should have got a notice from Toyota. Try going to your local dealer and speak to them about it. I would imagine they would take care of that recall and the most recent rear leaf spring recall also. Only 30,000!?!?!

My 2008 failed the frame inspection too. They let me drive it till the frame came in, must not have been that bad. I had them install new shocks and front brakes that I supplied (upgraded, custom brakes and TRD shocks), there was no charge for installing the new parts, said they would have to put the old ones on instead. They gave me a Prius for a loaner at no charge. While I wasn't happy with it needing the repair, the new springs, brake lines, A frames and so forth really are to my advantage.

I owned a 2002 Tundra SR5 (230,000 miles) that had recall work done to it :(( When they took the cab and bed off to coat the frame, the truck would flash all kinds of check-engine lights. Now that I own a 2009 Tacoma.... I history does not repeat itself.

They drop so much salt on the roads up here in NE Pennsylvania this winter.... It will rust almost anything. When it's above 32 degrees.... I power wash the frame and underside of my truck to avoid this problem.

Back