Denso or NGK... Which spark plug???

NGK has always been my preferred brand, whether it’s platinum, iridium, or a plain ol plug for the lawn mower. Used to own a ‘77 Z car, cylinder 6 had bad valve ears and would leak oil when it sat idle, and fouled every plug I put in there, til I tried a NGK +4. That never fouled.

When I had my tundra it came with denso plugs, but I always went with the ngk's that were less than $2 apiece.. Never had an issue.

Gen2 1GR-FE (4.0L V-6) the sparkplug change interval is 30,000 miles using basic copper plugs. No need for the high $$$ plugs.

is the 4cy Gen2 the same? these '11 plugs have 70k miles on them and no Yota dealer has mentioned they need to be changed on the schedule

is the 4cy Gen2 the same? these '11 plugs have 70k miles on them and no Yota dealer has mentioned they need to be changed on the schedule
Don't know. Have you looked in the Owner's Manual?

The info is in the back just before the index. It will specify change interval and what plug to use.

Once upon a lifetime ago, the cars would get the yearly winter tune up. Loads of maintenance: air filter, fuel filter, Plugs, points, condenser, oil/filter change, antifreeze check, battery check, windshield washer fluid, possible plug wires and distributor cap replacement, clean carb and choke linkage, set the choke, finally set the point gap and the timing. Then swap out the rear tires for winter tires.

Well......you can always access the guru on Carfax...............

Didn't find the change interval, but below is information from the 2005-2006 Service & Repair Manual.
1680704003707.png

i found this is the first mention of replacing spark plugs for '11 4cyl on the carFax maintenance schedule

i can assume it was missed at 60k miles because 120k miles seems quite far stretched
its odd as heck that the dealer shop did not recommend new sparkplugs or perhaps they did i really don't know!
but i should look into the videos for how exactly one goes about getting at these
i certainly hope it is not cumbersome as my truck is with having to remove a bunch of stuffs off the top to gain proper access

Manufacturer recommended services at 120,000 Miles​

DRAIN & REFILL​

• Drive Axle Assembly
  • Engine Oil
  • Transfer Case Fluid
  • Transmission Fluid

INSPECT​

• Accessory Drive Belt
  • Air Conditioning Condenser
  • Brake Line
  • Brake Rotor
  • Brake System
  • CV Joint Boot
  • Cooling System Fluid Level
  • Differential Fluid Level
  • Drum Brakes
  • Engine Air Filter Element
  • Exhaust System
  • Floor Mat
  • Fuel Evaporative Emission Control System Lines
  • Fuel Line
  • Fuel Tank
  • Fuel Tank Filler Cap O-Ring
  • Radiator
  • Steering Gear Box Assembly
  • Steering Linkage
  • Suspension Ball Joint
  • Transfer Case Fluid Level
  • Transmission Fluid Level
  • Vehicle Fluid Levels

LUBRICATE​

• Driveshaft U-Joint

REPLACE​

• Cabin Air Filter
  • Engine Air Filter Element
  • Engine Oil Filter
  • Spark Plugs

ROTATE​

• Tires

TORQUE​

• Body Fasteners
  • Driveshaft Flange Yoke

Nope. Don't use apps of that nature. Too many paths to hack in.

I have the records from Toyota for all the dealer service on this truck. It goes back to when the truck was purchased. Previous owners had Toyota do all the service work.

I watched the video. Only things I'd suggest for the first timer is to only do ONE plug at a time and gap the new plugs before removing anything from the engine.

That video to me looks extremely difficult to do with the leaning over the side like that and the reaching with both arms to wrench a tight one with zerofcks
Assuming you can even safely remove that black airbox to contraption

Just do the task one step at a time.

step by step.

Simple.

If you're too short to reach, then stand on a step stool.

I changed the plugs on my 4.7 v8 tundra many times. Passenger side bank was simple. The driver side was harder with the plug closest to the firewall. A 4 cylinder was so simple on toyota 4wd's I've had, I think I could do it blindfolded. This current 3.5 looks like the driver side could be a challenge on this v6.

Back