Front chin spoiler

Discussion in '2016 - 2023 Toyota Tacoma' started by tacojoel, Feb 24, 2022.

1. tacojoel

tacojoel Well-Known Member

Anyone notice any ill effects when removed? I had to remove mine to get at the engine skid plate bolts, and ease of installing the plate back on when doing an oil change the other day. Decided to leave it off for now.

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Took mine off the day I brought 'er home. No effects on mpgs or performance that I could tell.

4. OP
    tacojoel

Well thats good to hear. Was worried also removing it if down force would be affected...lol

5. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Only downforce I've noticed is when I get a stupid-a$$-driver pull out in front of me! LOL

6. TacoTruck2019

TacoTruck2019 Well-Known Member

I took mine off for awhile but wound up putting it back on. Mine, a 2wd sr5 seemed more twitchy on windy days or side drafts from big trucks. I liked the looks better with it off but settled for a little more stability. You shouldn't have to take it off to get to you're skid plate bolts, it's flexible enough to just push it forward to get to the bolts, granted it's easier without it being there but not that big a deal with it installed.

7. BennyBoy

BennyBoy Active Member

First day off roading, thing got tore off. Never even picked it up.

8. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

I've had mine off and back on twice. Like TacoTruck I've noticed some sway on windybdays or when passing 18 wheelers. I prefer the look with it off, but I chose a more stable drive and put it back on. I think the TRD off road model doesn't have it, but they may have compensated for wind draft in other ways.

Cape taco, B-Man and TacoTruck2019 like this.
  9. OP
    tacojoel

Well, i drove my usual 50 mile round trip to see a friend in another city the other day. With the chin spoiler removed i immediately noticed more wind noise, and little more than 1 mpg loss in fuel economy driving mostly at 60 mph speeds. I've driven these same roads, and same speeds many times before, so i know now with this spoiler removed there is definitely a reason toyota put it there.

Cape taco, Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  10. BennyBoy

BennyBoy Active Member

Very scientific.

Cape taco, Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  11. OP
    tacojoel

Idk about scientific, but those were my initial findings. I'm going to run without the spoiler for a couple more months to see if this holds the same. Right now i'm leaning to reinstall it if all this holds true.

Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  12. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

I was going to make a joke and the punch line was
    Chin spoiler :p
    I refrain.