Grinding sound when turning ON the truck.

Jakuzzi

I have a 2015 4wd TRD Tacoma. Whenever I let the truck sit for 2+ days (not being turned on) I hear a grinding sound that lasts for only a half second, 2 seconds AFTER I start it. What is that noise all about? I have 10,000 miles on it but I noticed it when I had only around 2,000. Again, it's only when the truck sits for more than 2 days. I quickly asked my service advisor when I took it in for the 1 year service. He mentioned it might be emissions pump/purge or something. Maybe someone can tell me more. Thanks.

I have a 2015 4wd TRD Tacoma. Whenever I let the truck sit for 2+ days (not being turned on) I hear a grinding sound that lasts for only a half second, 2 seconds AFTER I start it. What is that noise all about? I have 10,000 miles on it but I noticed it when I had only around 2,000. Again, it's only when the truck sits for more than 2 days. I quickly asked my service advisor when I took it in for the 1 year service. He mentioned it might be emissions pump/purge or something. Maybe someone can tell me more. Thanks.
Your truck is too young to have problems, although it may just be a simple random noise. Or It may be something else. Personally I'm betting it's nothing since our trucks are very noisy. Although a second opinion never hurts. If it's possible try to post a video on here so we could give you the most accurate answer as we can.

There is an air pump that runs for a little bit after the truck has started. Mine sounds like a tiny turbo. Maybe yours is defective! Try unplugging the air pump and see if the noise goes away.

I did a little more experimenting with when at what makes the noise. I found that it has something to do with only the A/C. It doesn't make the noise until I turn the A/C on. I didn't realize that before because the AC was always in the on position and I never thought about it being that. So I turn it to the off position before starting and it didn't make a sound until I turned it on.

I did a little more experimenting with when at what makes the noise. I found that it has something to do with only the A/C. It doesn't make the noise until I turn the A/C on. I didn't realize that before because the AC was always in the on position and I never thought about it being that. So I turn it to the off position before starting and it didn't make a sound until I turned it on.

Mine seems to make that noise when I turn the AC on after sitting during a work shift. Maybe liquid freon is getting into the compressor.

Mine seems to make that noise when I turn the AC on after sitting during a work shift. Maybe liquid freon is getting into the compressor.
Hello Nancy, i have noticed same think. When it sats in school lot, i start after practices and thing make oddly noises.

Back