Heat is out. Sure could have used it today!

cschauerj

The first symptom was what sounded like a malfunctioning door opening and closing non-stop from under the dash where I perceive the ventilation system to be. This stopped and then the heat quit working. I noticed that the temperature adjust knob does not actuate the cable-operated value under the hood that allows coolant to flow through the heater core. So that's problem #1. The second problem is that even after manually opening the value to circulate hot coolant, I still don't have any heat blowing in the cab. Is there some kind of flap to direct air past the heater core that could be related to the strange sound I heard that mysteriously stopped the same time my heat disappeared? Would it likely have malfunctioned at the controls or elsewhere. I can't find any write-ups on this or any schematics to see how the system functions. I don't know where to start.

I know there is some sort of valve that starts with a b that directs air flow. If that is what it is the problem then its a relatively inexpensive fix, might even just need to be oiled. I'd look into it but it could be something completely different

Does it blow out any air at all? If not, make sure the blower motor is coming on. Check the blower motor resistor and pigtail. Your heater core may also be clogged.

Back