How do you tell if the clutch fork is mucked?

it (bearing) does not squeal or chirp all of the time or even most of the time
just occasionally

Squealing is usually a throwout bearing going tapioca.
As far as seeing the clutch fork, and bearing....even blown up, you can hardly make it out, let alone any defects.

i learnt yesterday at that other place that one can stick an inspection mirror and/or camera into the boot area whilst truck is idling
to observe the bearing and fork, etc.

I wouldn't try sticking any camera in there while the truck is running...thats like asking for a busted camera or worse. Pivot points do dry out or flat spot from wear, probably why your hearing noises.

Maybe
Maybe not?
How do u get this ifork inspected for proper operation

Unless the truck has a bell housing inspection cover to see what the fork, and throwout bearing look like...its gotta come apart.

There is a removable plate in the front there
Looks like a semicircle from Timmy toolman uTubes

The fork has squeaked for the longest of time now... literally years
So IDK

Last edited:
Yeah probably depending where that shield is located. Some manual vehicles have a similar shield thats bolted to the lower side of the bell housing that allows you to see the clutch components.

i did spot an inspection hole (fairly good size) by that plate whilst hobbled underneath that could get a peek into up inside, not sure exactly which part i was looking at!

this taco guys clutch fork BROKE whilst the hydraulic system was being bled!
wish he woulda piped in some pics of that...
and only had 50k miles onit :confused:

Update: solved!

finally ended up taking it to the shop. They were just as stumped as me, master and slave were fine, line was bled fine. But still sometimes pedal, sometimes not. They continued to bleed it thinking maybe there’s a stubborn air pocket somewhere in the line. While bleeding it the clutch fork broke. Said it was either bent or cracked (probably bent) and it wasn’t getting enough travel to engage the clutch, which makes sense because it looked fine from the outside but I couldn’t see inside the bell housing where the problem was. Mechanic said he’s never seen one break. I just feel vindicated at least that it’s not something I could’ve diagnosed on my own because I’m not qualified to drop my transmission or take it apart. Sucks that the labor will be expensive because the transmission has to come out to replace the fork but all in all just happy I didn’t mess something up. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

i am curious if the clutch fork on the '97 is mucky lookn like this one here...

mucky clutch fork  adventure Taco.jpg

Back