Is the 4th Gen Taco a hit or a miss?

Is the 4th Gen Taco a hit or a miss?

• Total voters
So many times now at a stoplight I'll hear other vehicles start again om the green light. That's the first thing of with that feature, how the starter will hold out. On my cave-man technology Tacoma the starter is typically used less than 20 times a week, I've heard good things about the Prius.

I wonder if those new hybrid tacomas have engine shut-off every time your stop at a traffic light. Those starters like in our prius are good for just so many startup's. So far being ours a 2012, and over 122 k miles, its been a great car.
I hope they don't. This crazy idea shortens the life of a starter and that's more money out of my pocket. My old 2020 jeep had that function and the first thing I did was have the service tech guys disconnect that switch so my crap turns on and off when I say and not the other way around.

I hope they don't. This crazy idea shortens the life of a starter and that's more money out of my pocket. My old 2020 jeep had that function and the first thing I did was have the service tech guys disconnect that switch so my crap turns on and off when I say and not the other way around.
Good idea. The 2007+ GMC 5.3L V8 engines, the standard in 1/2 ton pickup trucks used AFM, Active Fuel Management I think it's called - to reduce the cylinders in use from 8 to 4 in certain conditions. All kinds of information on how to disable that. Many times when someone purchases a truck with it the first question on a forum I'm on is how to disable it.

Thankfully Toyota doesn't have anything like that. My backup vehicle is a 2002 Silverado with the 5.3L, thankfully without that feature.

Last edited:
Oh I didn't hear about burning oil as well. My '07 2.7L Tacoma leaks some oil, but I know it's still a great engine.

2.7 is bulletproof, but old school slow in these newer mid side trucks. As far as the 5.3 using oil, I heard it was something related to the way the pcv system was made to work. I don't think its a problem anymore.

Here's When To Expect The 2024 Toyota Tacoma​

BYTAIMOOR HASSAN
PUBLISHED 3 DAYS AGO

Fresh new details about the production schedule of Toyota's all-new pickup should give us an idea of when to expect the 4th-Gen Tacoma.
The curtain rises on the much-anticipated 2024 Tacoma production timeline! According to Tacoma4G, production of the all-new Toyota midsize pickup will commence this December, Toyota's state-of-the-art TMMGT production facility in Guanajuato, Mexico, is pulsing with excitement.

This burst of energy not only surrounds the standard models but also the eagerly awaited 2.4-litre Hybrid i-Force Max, which will take center stage in April 2024. With 65 prototypes and pre-production units already gracing the factory floors, it's clear that Toyota has big plans in store.

With the 2024 Toyota Tacoma Hybrid, Toyota isn't merely responding to past feedback—it's revolutionizing the mid-size pickup scene altogether. While some criticisms surrounded comfort and value-for-money concerns with the 2022 and 2023 models, the upcoming Toyota Tacoma has addressed these concerns and is set to lead the truck market. Stepping into a future where workhorse reliability meshes seamlessly with modern demands, this Tacoma iteration is about to set a new benchmark.

Under the hood of every 2024, Tacoma is a turbocharged 2.4-liter heart. Paired with options of an eight-speed automatic or a six-speed manual transmission, this powertrain provides adaptability for every driver's taste. The entry-level SR boasts a respectable 228 horsepower turbo four, while the rest escalate to the iForce variations, climaxing at a robust 278 horsepower.

Toyota's iconic 2024 Tacoma isn't a mere pickup; it's a canvas for every driver's distinct personality and need. From off-roaders to city cruisers, Toyota ensures there's a Tacoma tailored for you:

And let's talk about making an entrance. Toyota's 2024 Tacoma color palette is a blend of classic and audacious: alongside timeless Black and White, prepare to stun with hues like Supersonic Red, Bronze Oxide, and the vibrant Solar Octane.

Toyota's 2024 Tacoma Hybrid is ready to rewrite the rules of the adventure game. While the 2023 Tacoma boasts a towing capacity of 6,800 pounds, next year's model, with its hybrid system, pivots its focus from sheer power to becoming the unparalleled adventure truck on the global stage.

Expectations hint at a towing limit of 6,000 pounds for the hybrid, while its non-hybrid sibling might offer up to 6,500 pounds. In the competitive truck landscape, where the 2023 Ford Ranger tows up to 7,500 pounds, Toyota's emphasis on adventure-driven design and the sheer number of variations available takes precedence.

But what about the price tag of this adventure machine? Although exact figures remain under wraps, the 2024 model, enriched with more features, could potentially see a pricing revision from the current $28,000 starting price. However, history shows that Toyota's offerings always strike a harmonious balance between innovation and value, ensuring owners get every penny's worth of adventure and more.

Because of its new chassis, the Tacoma now boasts an impressive maximum ground clearance of 9.5 inches, contributing to its off-road capabilities. It also features a longer wheelbase, despite being the same length as the older models. Another welcome effect of the new chassis is more head and leg room in the interior, which now allows for better seating posture.

The latest iteration of the Tacoma introduces a bed that is 7% larger compared to previous generations, offering customers increased cargo space. However, for those seeking even more capacity, the XtraCab option is available on the SR and SR5 trims and comes standard on the TRD PreRunner trim. The XtraCab variant is a two-door configuration with seating for two and features a generous six-foot bed that can easily accommodate larger loads. Additionally, it provides a practical rear cabin storage area, enhancing its utility and versatility for various hauling needs.

The 2024 Toyota Tacoma showcases a refreshed, contemporary exterior and interior design, delivering notable enhancements over its previous model. Drawing inspiration from Toyota's latest design language evident in models such as the new Toyota 4Runner and Tundra, the exterior design of the 2024 Tacoma integrates updated styling elements, resulting in a sleeker, more modern, and visually appealing appearance.

Inside the cabin, the interior of the 2024 Tacoma has undergone a comprehensive redesign, leaving behind the outdated interior of its predecessor. Stepping into the new Tacoma, drivers, and passengers are welcomed by a stylish and sophisticated interior. The two-tone dash adds a touch of elegance, while the large 14-inch display on the dashboard of the higher trim levels, borrowed directly from the new Tundra, takes center stage, providing a user-friendly interface for various functions. A smaller 8-inch display is also provided on lower trims.

However, it is worth noting that Toyota has wisely chosen to retain physical buttons and dials for important controls such as the climate control, rather than integrating them solely into the touchscreen interface. This thoughtful design decision ensures that essential functions can be accessed and adjusted easily and intuitively, without the need for navigating through menus on the screen.

The interior enhancements continue with a completely redesigned steering wheel and a fully digital 12.3-inch gauge cluster on the higher trim levels and a 7-inch one on lower trims. The new additions also include a head-up display, a digital rearview mirror, and a power moon roof.

For the first time in the truck's history, the new Tacoma comes with an i-FORCE MAX hybrid powertrain. The hybrid system has a 48-horsepower electric motor strapped to a 2.4-liter engine that increases the total output to 326 horsepower and a whopping 465 pound-feet of torque, which is almost double that of the previous-generation trucks with the V-6 engines. It's important to note that not all variants of the Tacoma have a hybrid system. The system is only available as an option for the TRD Sport, TRD Off-Road, and Limited trims and comes as standard on the TRD Pro and Trail hunter variants.

The hybrid powertrain is not the only change found under the hood of the new Tacoma. Toyota has made the decision to replace the V-6 engine that used to be provided by older models with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder turbocharged engine as the standard across all variants. However, it's important to note that the power output varies across different trims, meaning not all models will have identical performance capabilities.

For the entry-level SR grades, the engine will generate 228 horsepower and 243 pound-feet of torque. On the other hand, all other mid-level non-hybrid grades will feature an increased power output, delivering 278 horsepower and 317 pound-feet of torque. While top trim levels featuring the hybrid powertrain will produce 326 horsepower and 465 pound-feet of torque.

The new Tacoma features two transmission options. The first is an eight-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission with Toyota's ECT-i. And the second option is a six-speed intelligent manual transmission (iMT2) with automatic rev-matching and anti-stall technology. The manual transmission is exciting, but it should also be noted that it produces less power than the automatic, being limited to 270 horsepower.

Another welcome addition to the new Tacoma is the inclusion of disc brakes on all four wheels for better stopping power, replacing the previous generation's drum brakes on the rear wheels. With the adoption of disc brakes, Toyota has been able to introduce additional features like an electronic parking brake, low-speed radar cruise control, and a brake hold function. These functionalities further contribute to the overall driving experience, providing convenience, safety, and peace of mind for Tacoma owners.

I'd settle for just a simple truck thats reliable, and easy to maintain, which this is going to be just the opposite.

Leaked: New 2024 Toyota Tacoma Ordering Guide Is Partially Here​

By Andre Smirnov September 6, 2023

The all-new 2024 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck will soon go on sale in the United States (by the end of this calendar year). While the official online configurator has not been published yet, we have some leaked information in the form of a partial ordering guide via the Tacoma4G forum.

Here is what we have so far. We can see many of the details about on of the basic Tacoma SR5 trim levels, and how the TRD Off-Road and the TRD Sport relate to that.

It all starts with the new 2.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine. This is just the turbo engine, not the hybrid. It is rated at 278 horsepower and 317 lb-ft of torque for the new Tacoma SR5 trim level (heated front seats are included with the SR5). The TRD Off-Road and TRD Sport trims will use the same power rating. This happens to be just above the base 2024 Ford Ranger 2.3L turbocharged I4 engine (270 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque).

All the other information is unofficial. It is also based on a Tacoma Double Cab (4-door crew cab) with a regular (5-foot) bed.

The TRD Off-road trim is focused on all-terrain capability and relative affordability. We still do not have official pricing for the 2024 Tacoma. The TRD Off-road trim will use 17-inch wheels and BFGoodrich Trail Terrain tires. The suspension includes Bilstein shocks. The technology package includes Crawl Control, Multi-Terrain Select, and full digital gauges. Other off-road gear includes a locking rear differential and three skid plates underneath.

The more street-focused TRD Sport version of the new Tacoma will have three distinct trim levels: TRD Sport, TRD Sport+, and TRD Sport Premium. Here are all of the 2024 Tacoma trim levels (some of them will go on sale later in 2024).

1694393973300.png

I had no idea there were three versions of the 2024 TRD Sport. As long as I get the one with a MT, 18" wheels, and that 14" touch screen I'm good with that. :)

Back