Is the 4th Gen Taco a hit or a miss?

Is the 4th Gen Taco a hit or a miss?

• Total voters

Ragnar The Redneck

Well-Known Redneck
Based upon what we know about the new 4th Gen Taco, and taking into account the midsize offerings sold currently (GM twins, Frontier), and being released next year (Ranger), is the new Taco a hit or a miss?

Please, be more objective than fanboy. I would rather drive a new Taco than the others, but I still see the bad compared to the others.

Take the new Ranger... It will offer two new V6 engine options - the 2.7L TT V6, and a 3.0L TT V6. The former is about equal to the top spec Tacoma offering, but the latter will blow the Taco's specs into the weeds. BTW, has Ford reined in those problems with the 2.7L in the Bronco? The 3.0L is an unknown quantity, as I haven't really seen anything bad or good. Should the TRD Pro have used the 3.5L TT V6 from the Tundra?

Will Toyota's decision to go with an all 4-cylinder lineup hinder it against the Frontier (nice HP, but lacking torque), and the Ranger (adding V6's to its lineup)? Did GM shoot themselves in the foot by going all-in with their 2.7L 4-cylinder (I have seen just about as many praises as I have horror stories)?

One thing Toyota's are known for is fit and finish and material quality. This seems to be a stumbling block for the others compared to Toyota. For example, take a look under the seat of a Toyota, and then compare to the others.

For me, I think the new Tacoma will be a HIT!

Only way I'd ever consider a 4 gen tacoma is in a hybrid. So far my brothers rave4 hybrid has been very good. It'll blow my tacoma away both in power and fuel economy. Our 2012 prius has been bulletproof...cheapest vehicle to own to this date.

I don't know a whole lot about stuff Redneck but one thing I do know is that history is on the side of the Toyota pickup truck/Tacoma. From 1964- 1994 & a 1/2, and then the Tacoma was introduced in 1995 and the rest is history.

Ford had the Courior 1972-1982, and then the Ranger was around for a few short years in the 80's and then the brand died. Ford resurected the Ranger in 2019 and I think it will die again in hte next few years.

Then there was that Dodge Dakota. It wasn't around to long.

Chevy had the Luv and it died. They replaced it with the S-10 and it died, and then they jumped back into the small truck catagory in the early 2000's with the Colorado/Canyon (one is chevy the other is GMC) I believe.

And yet the Tacoma continues to dominate the small pickup truck industry. They never left. So like you, I really believe the 4th gen will be a huge hit. In part (it's a samll part I know) because they are. continuing with a manuel transmission that keeps guys like me buying teh next generation Tacoma. Just my 2¢. :cool:

Appearance wise-ehhh. Take some getting used to I suppose but in reality i spend more time looking around the interior and out the windshield than gazing at it. As long as there’s a 4 door, long bed and they maintain the fit and finish, fine. Only have 95k on my ‘17 so no hurry to roll out but I’m still curious when these will go into productio. May grab up one of the last SR5’s or a Limited.
have they announced the price points?

I think it'll be hit with those that like manual transmissions. I was surprised it's still an option - and good for Toyota. I think that would make the Tacoma the only new pickup truck available with a manual transmission. I don't know if the Jeep Gladiator will still offer a manual. For several years the only full size pickup truck with a manual was the Dodge Ram (technically now just called Ram) in the 2500 Diesel model. I believe they. along with the former Nissan Frontier (before the recent redesign) were the only holdouts.

I think it'll be hit with those that like manual transmissions. I was surprised it's still an option - and good for Toyota. I think that would make the Tacoma the only new pickup truck available with a manual transmission. I don't know if the Jeep Gladiator will still offer a manual. For several years the only full size pickup truck with a manual was the Dodge Ram (technically now just called Ram) in the 2500 Diesel model. I believe they. along with the former Nissan Frontier (before the recent redesign) were the only holdouts.
And I believe you're correct about Jeep & Nissan.

i have been a fan of both 2nd and 3rd gen . cause they are unique in their models . but new tacoma /tundra look
alike!!! . i can already hear the jokes " tundra wannabe

Attachments

• 668A059F-CE1A-4ED5-9DD2-9EA0853CE531.jpeg
    668A059F-CE1A-4ED5-9DD2-9EA0853CE531.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 8894B363-B4E0-47D1-8DF3-C86C055B1893.jpeg
    8894B363-B4E0-47D1-8DF3-C86C055B1893.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 8D2189EC-31B8-48CA-BDEC-7EBC62A8F084.jpeg
    8D2189EC-31B8-48CA-BDEC-7EBC62A8F084.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 429F1131-C3AD-4026-B383-E17173602A61.jpeg
    429F1131-C3AD-4026-B383-E17173602A61.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 8FBE9F61-D137-4480-BDFE-2C9994DBCB58.jpeg
    8FBE9F61-D137-4480-BDFE-2C9994DBCB58.jpeg
    840.7 KB · Views: 7
Based upon what we know about the new 4th Gen Taco, and taking into account the midsize offerings sold currently (GM twins, Frontier), and being released next year (Ranger), is the new Taco a hit or a miss?

Please, be more objective than fanboy. I would rather drive a new Taco than the others, but I still see the bad compared to the others.

Take the new Ranger... It will offer two new V6 engine options - the 2.7L TT V6, and a 3.0L TT V6. The former is about equal to the top spec Tacoma offering, but the latter will blow the Taco's specs into the weeds. BTW, has Ford reined in those problems with the 2.7L in the Bronco? The 3.0L is an unknown quantity, as I haven't really seen anything bad or good. Should the TRD Pro have used the 3.5L TT V6 from the Tundra?

Will Toyota's decision to go with an all 4-cylinder lineup hinder it against the Frontier (nice HP, but lacking torque), and the Ranger (adding V6's to its lineup)? Did GM shoot themselves in the foot by going all-in with their 2.7L 4-cylinder (I have seen just about as many praises as I have horror stories)?

One thing Toyota's are known for is fit and finish and material quality. This seems to be a stumbling block for the others compared to Toyota. For example, take a look under the seat of a Toyota, and then compare to the others.

For me, I think the new Tacoma will be a HIT!
si a hit.

I wish I could say I'm a big fan of turbo's, but their complexity seems to always end up with some costly issue out of warranty. I guess thats what extended warranty contracts are for....pay me now or more later.:(

My theory is the stress on the engine, that much compression and other factors would cause premature wear and tear. Some of that is dispelled as large truck engines are turbo diesels and typically are good for several hundred thousand miles. Then again, those diesel engines must be designed considering the turbo's force on the engine. Not saying the same can't be done for a gas engine. I really don't know how typical gas turbos hold up past 150k miles or so.

My theory is the stress on the engine, that much compression and other factors would cause premature wear and tear. Some of that is dispelled as large truck engines are turbo diesels and typically are good for several hundred thousand miles. Then again, those diesel engines must be designed considering the turbo's force on the engine. Not saying the same can't be done for a gas engine. I really don't know how typical gas turbos hold up past 150k miles or so.
Manufactures like ford, and honda seem to have the turbo market dialed in for those kind of miles without major issues. Toyota seems to be the new guy on the block to join the turbo game. Be interesting to see if they can pull it off without major hiccups.

I believe Toyota can pull it off, as they have made many successful turbo engines, 7M-GTE, 1&2JZ-GTE, 1G-GTE, 3S-GTE, among several others. The basics of building a turbo engine hasn't changed in decades, only the supporting hardware has become better.

Back