issues with 2016 Tacoma

Ok take truck out on highway put on cruise control at 75-80 mph. Then drop down to 45-50 put on resume let's see if transmission will shift easily into final drive gear. Is not going to happen unless you are driving down hill

2016 Tacoma Trd Off-road. (Silver Bullet)
2015 Tacoma Sr5. (Polar Bear)

Don't think I have dropped 30 mph but I did drop 10-15 on a hill and it down shifted and proceeded to change gears like it should back to a set 70 mph. Normally if I had to drop 30 mph speed I would not use resume

5th and 6th gear on the auto transmission are both overdrives. 6th being pretty high. Most have found on the auto both V6 and 4cylinder that the Auto transmission constantly shifts between 6 -5 even on flat roads. At 60-65 mph it is pretty stable as long as the road is flat and or no headwind. But faster speeds the wind resistance picks up and the shifting cycling starts. It is less likely to do this with cruise control off, but still is an issue.

One thing I did is set "S" mode and set 5, meaning 5th is the highest gear it will up-shift to. That was a big improvement, and my MPG went up 1.2 mpg. The slightly higher RPM lets the engine develop more torque to maintain speed better and use less fuel in the process.

So a software fix definitely is in order!
Thanks for the info about 5-6 back and forth shifting. Makes PA hills a pain in the ass. I've had my TRD Sport for about 3 weeks and haven't tried yo see if I have the 75 mph cruise problem yet. Going to try it and talk to my dealer anyway. I'll let you know what I find.

Ok update Via Toyota they are aware of the issue Representative contacted me and advised they are working on a software update. Update has not been complete ted so as far as a release date I will advise as soon as Toyota calls me and advises new update is ready to install.
Any word on the update yet? Mind telling us what dealer told you this?

Larry H Miller Colorado Springs was Dealer Scott Rill Regional service manager. He is from Denver Corporate..

Had to borrow my dad's 2016 SR while my 6-spd 2010 got a new U-joint (yay) and noticed the 3rd gen cycles down to 4th A LOT. I had this 5-6 cycling almost constantly on my trip from Idaho to Wyoming--didn't do it as badly going back with a load in the bed, but certainly got touchy about dropping out of OD. Just ticked over 1000 miles on the odometer. Any word on a software fix?

I rented a new Cherokee (rattle trap) with a 9 speed. That thing shifted alllll the time back and forth. If I looked at the throttle, it would down shift. Could this be an issue with having so many gears in the tranny?

I rented a new Cherokee (rattle trap) with a 9 speed. That thing shifted alllll the time back and forth. If I looked at the throttle, it would down shift. Could this be an issue with having so many gears in the tranny?

My dad got the dodge eco Diesel with the 8 speed, surprisingly it only shifts when needed, doesn't even downshift a lot on the open road.... But it is a diesel

You guys are scaring me. I'm getting ready to order a 2016 in Feb. I have a 2011 TRD Sport pre runner I love but want 4x4 now that I live in Minnesota. Also how do you determine by the VIN if it is built in Texas or Mexico?

You guys are scaring me. I'm getting ready to order a 2016 in Feb. I have a 2011 TRD Sport pre runner I love but want 4x4 now that I live in Minnesota. Also how do you determine by the VIN if it is built in Texas or Mexico?
If you still have the window sticker(if bought new) it tells you.

No reason to be scared. By the time you receive your truck most issues other than the transmission software will be corrected. .. Either way software fix is in the mix and will be released by late January. Nothing will happen to truck if you drive it like that till software glitch is fixed as its a SOFTWARE fix not a mechanical one.. I was assured that software will address several other issues. I didn't get a chance to ask what they all were but must be minor repairs as they will be doing its as vehicles come in for oil changes. Repairs will be available very soon after going through certification as software has already been written only needs to get approved through certifications before it will be released to public.

Last edited:
Hmm first time I heard of that. I would schedule an appt immediately before something simple can become something really BIG I am sure you haven't engaged the crawl control on hard terrain, such as pavement , cement ,ect? That could cause major damage to transfer case and rear differentials. Either way I would get truck checked out ASAP

Last edited:
Back