manual transmission MT GL-4 gear oil change...

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 350k on the 0D0
got the goods in from AMSoil to change out the initial 'break-in' gear oil of the rebuilt R150F
it has 3k miles onit

i think the capacity is a bit less than 3qts but we shall find it out when get to this task whilst the weather is decent enough out
no rain expected and warmish outside

Last edited:
the new drain plug on the R150F is a HEX key for some reason not the same as the original afaik

MT drain plug is a HEX.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

this is the initial fluid that come out after 3k miles
seems kinda darkish??
but IDK what it should look like after usage

IMG_0971.JPG

MT gear oil after 3k miles kinda darkish.JPG

this is the new GL4 AMSoil gear lube and its colour before usage

MT gear oil new AMSoil GL4.JPG

how much miles until this would need another fresh 2+ Qts of the AMSoil GL4 gear lubricant

That Seems quite high considering the colour that came out at 3k compared to new gear oil lubricant

Do a drain & fill at the recommended interval.

You do not have the ability to analyze oil by eye.

FWIW, I do a D&F every 30K. The change interval is 100k miles. I do it every 30k because, the D&F only drops about 3 quarts out of a 12 qt system. So , when 100k rolls around, I have changed out the oldest.

Also, keep in mind, the older the trans the quicker the oil will darken.

Some manual transmission manufactures use a moly disulfide coating on their internal components for break purposes which would explain the dark oil for a few changes.

Some manual transmission manufactures use a moly disulfide coating on their internal components for break purposes which would explain the dark oil for a few changes.
Would that also be known as assembly lubricant?
Lube?

1710718838968.png

Thats an engine assembly lube but it's the same idea. They have grafal, and ceramic piston coatings that have become popular to for engines.

Thats an engine assembly lube but it's the same idea. They have grafal, and ceramic piston coatings that have become popular to for engines.
The guy named Nick in sunny CA that rebuilt this R150F was shown to use some assembly lube quite liberally in the video
It could very well explain this odd colour

Back