Manual Upgrades

I bought my 2023 TRD Sport specifically for the manual 6-speed. My two upgrades have both improved the shifting experience.

The first phase was installing an OEM TRD knob ($58) with a Dobbs Hardware trim cover ($20) to secure the boot. The knob is big and fits my hand better than the OEM or other ball knobs I looked at. The feel was better than stock.

TRD Shifter.jpg TRD Box.jpg

I looked into aftermarket shifters and decided on the B&M 45204 Sportshifter ($297). I could have installed it myself, but for the time and effort, had the local Toyota dealer install it for $143.

BM 2Shifter.jpg Shift Throws.jpg

What a difference! The gates are tight and throws are less. The overall feel is much more satisfying than the OEM setup. As a manual fan, I'm very satisfied with the results. Nothing like an old-school ball and stout shifter with nicely defined gates. Makes me smile all the time, not just when driving all out.

Last edited:
If it didn't cause the truck to make more power, or get better fuel economy, its not a worthy investment imo.

Stock is fine, and I understand having to prioritize money spent. For me, the quality and feel of the shifting IS the point of having a manual, so a shifter upgrade works for me.

Last edited:
those pictures are not working!
it makes all the difference to keep yer taco happy happy :)

do these light up at night?
i wish mine did with the dimmer switch!
still rockin' the stock knob here for almost 27 years

No lights; it's a solid ball with etched gear pattern and B&M logo.
Yes, have to pay a bit more attention to shifting. But once you get it, the smiles come with every shift-up or down.

I wish it were 60-70 degrees year round if we couldn't have a normal winter. All this rain bs is getting old.´

Back