? needing new leaf springs...

IMHO...... Seems like overkill for hard surface roads.

But hey.....Its your coin.

I'd think a basic set of simple shocks like Monroe, KYB, Gabriel.... would be plenty sufficient. Cost about $40/each or less.

Last edited:
hard surface roads that are broken, rotted and shifted to total crappage ... its basically offroading on chunks of gapped and broken concrete
absolut no hopes of the city engineers or whatever they are EVER resolving this to make it smooth as butter for everyone...
it doesn't matter if its residential, main streets or city highways
its horrific
some midwest towns out there are better and some are even worse!.... like Michigan towns i have wheeled in

Iowa is hit and miss at times

IMHO...... Seems like overkill for hard surface roads.

But hey.....Its your coin.

I'd think a basic set of simple shocks like Monroe, KYB, Gabriel.... would be plenty sufficient. Cost about $40/each or less.

the monroes quikstruts i have now were 160ish a piece up front, where do you get 40$ from?

KYB rearshocks were around that

RockAuto has shocks at these prices. Note, that is a per shock price. YOU install.

'97 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L, Original Ride Quality........

I'd certainly hesitate spending big $$$ on a vehicle with over 250 kmiles.

RockAuto has shocks at these prices. Note, that is a per shock price. YOU install.

ic ic ic

Last edited:

installing the rear shocks was not a terrible problem with wheels on the ground, slipped on and off with ease
just had to reach awkwardly over the muffler on the passenger side all cramped up

its these rear leaf springs i don't know don't have a clue as to how involving that would be for a non-healthy person to do safely and not have to pork out approx. 700$ for a parts changer slop shop to muck stuff up as before

i do NOT have that wimpy 2.7 in this rig
LOL

Fairly simple task.

You'll need to get the truck onto jack stands. Use a floor jack to elevate the axle. Then its just a matter of breaking the fasteners loose. Generally, the leafs are specific to a side and the have a locating pin. Take pictures during the disassembly. Replace all fasteners with new hardware. I think the front bolt on the leaf needs to be installed before the rear shackles. I'm sure your go to Guru Timmy has a video on the process.

I took a guess at what engine you have. Go to RockAuto, sift through the menus to find your specifics. I have doubts if the shocks are much different between models.

The shocks for the 3.4L are in the same price range.

Removing leafs can be a pita if the bolts are frozen. Then the torch becomes your friend. Otherwise it's not a complicated job. I recall replacing broken front leafs on my 79 Toyota 4x4 truck. Hardest part was going Hartford at superior spring to have new ones made up as Toyota didn't even have them in stock at that time being their 1st generation of 4wd compact pickup trucks sold in the u.s.

the bolts and nuts may or may not have to be cut off everywhere, bushings popped out and replaced somehow

either the bolt right next to the fuel tank comes out no issues or it doesn't
might be better to have fuel tank removed to access that connection but IDK

the monroes quikstruts i have now were 160ish a piece up front, where do you get 40$ from?

KYB rearshocks were around that
When I replaced the Monroe quick struts on my tundra they offered 2 versions, one costing around $150 and the other about $200. After looking both over I opted for the better pair.
I once tried Monroe rear shocks on an older 84 Toyota pickup I had...the rebound damping wasn't right. At 60 mph they were packing making the ride feel like the truck was always bottoming out. I took them off, and bought a set of Toyota ones which felt way better.

When I replaced the Monroe quick struts on my tundra they offered 2 versions, one costing around $150 and the other about $200. After looking both over I opted for the better pair.
I once tried Monroe rear shocks on an older 84 Toyota pickup I had...the rebound damping wasn't right. At 60 mph they were packing making the ride feel like the truck was always bottoming out. I took them off, and bought a set of Toyota ones which felt way better.
Did you see the new topic of the bump stops on LCA

Did you see the new topic of the bump stops on LCA
Yeah I saw it, but have no comment. I never had an issue with them in trucks owned. My 2001 gen1 tundra was good, but the following year, 2002 Toyota had a recall on their ball joints breaking off causing the wheel to collapse, and loss of steering.

are they supposed to be touching and bumping like that? it grabbed that woolWax pretty hard! smooshed it all up

it maybe explain the awful banging sometimes that i have NO CLUE where its coming from because i am not strapped underneath on the go

its like i go into the 'expert' well-seasoned Yota mechanics or partChangers and tell them about these problems popping up i am having and they just give me some DUMBASS look like Huh? never heard that one before.

Back