Will Butler

I'm a little confused about synthetic oil. It claims to last for 10k-15k miles, yet it needs to be changed at least once a year? Every 2 years max? I've only driven 3,250 miles since last change about a year and a half ago. Granted those were mostly a lot of short trips of about 3 miles RT, and I know it's not good to not let an engine heat up to normal temp, but should I replace the oil now or wait until there's at least 5k miles on it?

I change mine at 3K miles. The oil may last but I worry about the filter going that many miles. Personal choice though. I look at it that oil is the blood for your engine.....clean oil keeps those tiny passages clean. Your choice though! My boss has a 2020 Ford Expedition for our office....he changes the oil when the oil life is down to 1-2% on all his vehicles. Close to 10K miles.......I just cringe but he's never had a problem.

Thanks, B-Man. So you don't think time is as important as overall miles driven? Also trying to do my part for the 'vironment and reduce oil demand ever so insignificantly. My other car is a Tesla, which has convinced me to never buy another ICE vehicle again.

I always take into account miles driven which for me is 3K on the odometer........then I tend to add in idling during warm-ups and sitting in traffic which adds on to that oil circulating. That's just me though. My used oil goes to an entity for free that they say recycles it.....what they actually do with it is beyond me but I don't have to store it and don't have to pay to dispose of it so win-win!

I'm a little confused about synthetic oil. It claims to last for 10k-15k miles, yet it needs to be changed at least once a year? Every 2 years max? I've only driven 3,250 miles since last change about a year and a half ago. Granted those were mostly a lot of short trips of about 3 miles RT, and I know it's not good to not let an engine heat up to normal temp, but should I replace the oil now or wait until there's at least 5k miles on it?
5k miles or less will make your truck go 100k plus or over 10 years. Make sure the shop that changes the oil enters the data in the Toyota supplied maintenance.book. It keeps a record for complaint issues and resale value.

I'm with B-Man I do it 3-4k and
And within a year .Lots of short trips I always thought wasn't all that great for any engine. IMO. Or if u run 10k on your oil change filter at 5k and top off the oil? I've done that before cuz they say oil does really break down it gets dirty.whoever they are?lol:)

Every 5K. miles plus tire rotation.
Check You Tube CAR CARE NUT channel. He is a Toyota master mechanic and explains slowly and in detail with good photography. New cars have low friction piston rings and oil burning by 40,000 miles is not uncommon with short trips and long oil change intervals. Change by the calendar if you don't drive much. Use full synthetic same weight as shown on filler cap with a genuine Toyota filter. Subscribe to his channel. You'll be glad you did.

Wise words Don Drake. Transmissions will be beyond the scope of some of us. If so, take it to the dealer. The main point is to get the tranny serviced one way or the other every 50 or 60,000 miles and use Toyota fluid. With oil changes, don't ignore the 6 month interval if you don't put on many miles. The 10,000 mile oil changes only apply if you are driving crazy amounts like 1000 miles a week.

The synthetic oil sold today has come a long way not needing to be replaced every six months unless you drive a ton of miles. Imo, if driven 5k miles or less a year is fine, otherwise your just wasting oil.

Back