Oil change question

ArtinNC

Anyone change their oil filter and it was dry ? No oil going thru the filter . No light on dash and have oil pressure . First time this has happened .

Busted oil pump?....or there's no oil that was put in the engine to start with. At any rate you have major problems if the truck was ever run that way.

Last edited:
I have drove my truck for 5 months and I check the oil once a week , no knocks no noise . ((At any rate you have major problems )) and that is what I'm afraid of . I don't put many miles on it maybe 50 miles a week . It is a 2011 with 82K on it .

The issue is you claim to have a dry filter. Either the filter is defective in some way obstructing the oil from flowing into it, or the oil pump isn't working which would kill the engine in a short time. I have never seen an oil filter thats done this, it would be a first.

Last edited:
Ok I just got another filter , and when I took off yesterdays new filter it had lots of oil running out . So I put another new filter on it . Then I cut open the old filter and could not find anything that looked bad with it . Now I'm afraid to drive it , So guess I'll take it some place to have it checked . And no matter what they will find a high dollar problem , I'm 83 and don't feal like missing with it .
Thanks for your comments .

Are you absolutely positive that first filter was completely dry when you removed it? It makes no sense why the other filter now appears normal with oil in it. At any rate I was always taught to fill any oil filter with new oil before installing it when doing an oil change. This creates instant oil pressure when firing an engine up preventing unnecessary wear that a dry filter would create. I guess it's nearly impossible to do on these 4.0 gen2 engines the way the filter is located.

With the new new filter and it has oil in it , I'll see how that goes .
And thanks for all the comments .

Back