Paint is flaking off under the hood

mdk92799

I checked under the hood and found a long strip of paint flaking off. Has anyone experienced this? Is there any recourse with Toyota? This happened once before and they fixed it under warranty a few years ago. But the paint that flaked off then was on the outside. This is a 2018 Tacoma. Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.

Attachments

• IMG_51B1D3E9224F-1.jpeg
    IMG_51B1D3E9224F-1.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
2018 is a 5 year old truck. Any warranty is likely long gone. It won't be on a recall because it is not a safety issue. TSB is maybe, but not likely.

Best just to visit a body shop to explore options. May only need to prep and paint that fender.

If it's white, or that baby lookin blue, toyota has long had big issues with those colors. 2 dealers warned me not to pick a truck that color. I guess the voodoo blue is ok, but I had blue toyota pickups, even their deeper blues, and bright reds tend to fade bad after several years on trucks left outside 24/7. They said quicksand is probably their best color for holding up the longest, and not showing dirt.

Don't assume all Toyota white trucks have the paint issue.

Mine has original Super White paint from 2006. No peeling or flaking. A few paint chips and parking lot dings.

Well Finally. Toyota is stepping up to their faulty Super White paint jobs on 2016-2022 Tacomas. I received a letter today from Corporate they are going to repaint the doors and fenders free of charge where the paint was peeling around the windows and under the hood along the inside of the fenders. My 16’ was peeling there for the past 3 years. Damn, just sold it a month ago!!! (with its peeling paint) This actually renews my faith in the new Toyota Corporate structure and customer satisfaction group. We’ve got issues over on the new Gen3 Tundra side but I’m confident they will make it right.

Back