Questions on buying a used taco

Brian_

I’m looking to buy a used taco, I’m coming from the Jeep world and have always been looking at these trucks.

Is there anything I should look out for? Any years to stay away from? How reliable are these trucks?

Welcome! Look out for?.......auto trannys have had some issues.....my auto is fine without any issues. Lotsa folks like the 6-speed manual. These trucks are not speed demons and weren't designed as such. They hold their own. I've had a '17 Off Road and now an '18 Sport........no issues with either one! Very dependable and they hold their value very well!

I'm very happy with my 2017 TRD Sport 4 door automatic 6 cylinder at 90,000 miles. That includes 3 round trips from Asheville to Southern California. The bottom line for me is that I have confidence in making these long trips and plan to make more of them. Gas mileage ranges from 18 to just under 22 on the highway.

Lots of discussion here about dealers and service. I made the decision to have my dealer do all service as recommended. The only exception was to install Bilstein 5100 shocks to smooth out the ride. So far, so good. No complaints. Others are more skeptical about using their dealer service center.

I can outline a few common issues that are discussed in detail elsewhere on this site.

The truck is a bit underpowered. Changes were made, and the 2016 version is more powerful, I'm told. I took care of that issue by installing a device called ShiftSense Pro. They're online. It seems to make the truck stay in lower gear longer in order to maintain power. It's easy to install and better IMO than using the ECT button. Other options are discussed on the site too.

There is occasional axle wrap, a bumping sound, when you come to a stop. For me it was more noticeable early on in the morning as I stopped at the first traffic light. Over time, for me, it disappeared.

Look at the frame. Near the back wheels there should be a sticker with a "G" on it. There were some problems with rusting on older models and I think the "G" means the truck has the improved frame.

My only experience with Jeep was a 1978 "Golden Eagle." It had the decal of an angry chicken on the hood. It rusted out before my eyes. I have no rust issue with my Taco. The entire time I owned the Jeep nuts and bolts keep falling from the dashboard. I think one of the workers placed them there to fall out over time. Very annoying.

Finally, people complain about Tacomas painted white. Seems the color is prone to chip. Again, discussed at length here.

Good luck.

I’m looking to buy a used taco, I’m coming from the Jeep world and have always been looking at these trucks.

Is there anything I should look out for? Any years to stay away from? How reliable are these trucks?
So you're looking to buy a used 3rd gen Tacoma (2016+)? Only real issues to watch for are timing cover oil leaks, coolant crossover pipe leaks, and frame rust.

The automatic tranmission is mechanically robust but is hobbled by crap shift logic from the factory. That can be addressed to a limited extent by service bulletins, or fixed completely by an aftermarket tune (ECM flash).

There are a few notable recalls (rear diff leak, double cab 3rd brake light leak, fuel pump failure, crank sensor). However, that shouldn't deter you from buying a specific truck because the recall repairs are covered by Toyota with no expiry date.

2018+ have standard adaptive cruise control, precollision warning, lane departure alert, etc. All could be disabled if you choose. I like the features because they make the 3hr+ highway drone to the trails more relaxed.

Last edited:
Idk, maybe look elsewhere when it comes to the 2016 tacoma. Then again seems to be a crap shoot with some tacoma's of all years having way more issues than others. I can say my 2020 sr5 has been flawless being built in texas. I've heard the ones built in mexico now have similar quality issues as gm vehicles, so i don't know what to think. I can tell you most tocoma buyers seem to gravitate toward the trd models which seem to have the bulk of the bigger issues.

I have a 2020. If I could go back and do it again, I would get a 2015. They've passed the test of time, and have little to no safety nanny crap.

I've had no problems with my 2019 sr5 other than the issues covered by recalls, didn't even have problems with what it was recalled for, just got them done. The biggest thing to look for is frame rust. Here in NC there are a lot of vehicles showing up on the used car lots from up north. Dealers buy them from auction up north and bring them down here, just a quick walk around they look good till you look underneath. This isn't only Taco's, but all vehicles. Check Carfax and inspect it to see that it's complete or get you're own report and compare to the one dealer shows you, there's been reports of dealers only showing partial Carfax reports.

Yep, totally agree on the rust issue on the frames being in the salt belt of new england. I've rust proofed my frame with cosmoline after getting sick of doing my tundra every fall with fluid film as it wash's away by spring.
As for the nanny crap in my 2020, i got pissed off enough with it that i turned it off. For the most part its like my gen1 tundra now. I don't even bother with the rest of the bs the head unit has.

2018 and newer are the best bets. 2016 and 17 had some oil gasket and cooling hose leaks

Idk, this 2020 sr5 i have is the first tacoma i've owned. Granted the nanny crap was the most annoying feature in this truck, but once i turned off most of it, the truck operates as my previous gen1 tundra except getting way better fuel economy. I really can't claim a bad thing about this 3rd gen tacoma. I have no clue why many say theirs suck.

Back