Random/Uncontrollable Horn on 2001 Tacoma TRD

Backcountry

Hey Folks, hoping someone here might be able to help diagnose my crazy horn and save me a trip to the mechanics.

A few weeks back, I started my truck, it ran for a few minutes and then the horn went off. Sometimes I hit it by accident, no big deal. But then it goes off a few more times. Was that me? Then it just starts going nuts. Loooooong beep, shorts beeps etc. I turn it off, and the horn stops. Start it up again and the honking starts again. Turn it off, and it keeps going. Open the door it stops. I went through a variety of scenarios in some instances it would still beep and the key was out. Pushing on the horn, didn't get it to stop. Eventually when it did stop I got the hell out of where I was parked and drove for about 45min before it went extra nuts while I was driving. I pulled the fuse.

The truck had been sitting for 4 days prior, through a range of crazy weather, lows of -18c, then highs of +5c, rain, snow, freezing rain, etc.

I've seen a few posts on the topic, but not really a lot of resolutions. Also I don't have an alarm, starter, or really any after market electronics.

I've seen some suggestions for Gen IIs that it could be indicator of a bad battery. My battery is only a couple of years old, although as I did mentioned there were a couple of cold nights. But the truck started simply enough, and the horn started going crazy again after about 45min into my drive which the battery should have been in good shape by then?

I have replaced both horns. I have replaced the Spiral Cable / Clockspring, which seemed like good solution based on my crazy horn, and since my Cruise control no longer works. But the new clockspring didn't seem to affect any change. When I hooked the horn back up, it honked solid for a few seconds then stopped. Pushing on the steering wheel did nothing. I drove around for a bit tonight after hooking up the new horns and at one point it started going off solid, until I pulled the fuse.

I guess if it's not he clockspring, I need to start working my way back through the harness? ugh...

Oh, I have also checked the horn switches, and all 4 seem to be unobstructed and free moving.

Appreciate any input. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back