Rear brake shoes.. ughh.. 2011 4X4

Gregzzz

Ok… I’ve always worked on my own vehicles myself and am 55 but have NEVER in my life done rear brake shoes as they kinda scare the shiiit out of me and they gotta be perfect!! Still can’t believe Toyota put brake shoes in the rear of a 2011. My 98 Expedition even had 4 wheel disc!! Anyway…. Has anyone done their brake shoes themselves and how did it go? Any tips or tricks that’d help me out? Any advice is apreciatted as I’m probably gonna do this over the weekend.. thanks all.

Ok… I’ve always worked on my own vehicles myself and am 55 but have NEVER in my life done rear brake shoes as they kinda scare the shiiit out of me and they gotta be perfect!! Still can’t believe Toyota put brake shoes in the rear of a 2011. My 98 Expedition even had 4 wheel disc!! Anyway…. Has anyone done their brake shoes themselves and how did it go? Any tips or tricks that’d help me out? Any advice is apreciatted as I’m probably gonna do this over the weekend.. thanks all.
My 2016 TRD Off Road has rear drums and I think the 2022 Tacoma's have rear drums.

How many miles on your rig?

Are the shoes worn out so bad they need replacing?

Toyota Time with Timmy toolman has a good YouTube on gen3 t4r which I suppose is very similar other than perhaps a sensor??

Check out the summer soire I had on my 97 rear drums and replacing a gasket
It's in the maintenance section!

You may need to buy or borrow some new tools for it to make the task simpler

Last edited:
115,000. Their starting to squeal in the rear sometimes so I figure it’s getting close. I think?
Have you ever removed the drums? To see how much meat is left?
Maybe things just need cleaned and re-greasing?
Which would require removing the shoes from Timmy's YouTube channel

Have you ever removed the drums? To see how much meat is left?
Maybe things just need cleaned and re-greasing?
Which would require removing the shoes from Timmy's YouTube channel
No. Not yet. I just assumed bring its a 2011 with 115,000 and squeaking that it was time… msybe it does just need cleaning with any luck? My luck though it’ll need replacing.

No. Not yet. I just assumed bring its a 2011 with 115,000 and squeaking that it was time… msybe it does just need cleaning with any luck? My luck though it’ll need replacing.
Let us know if you can get the drums off first
I had some issues with taking off my relatives 2011 taco drums, kind of getting rusty
But my truck was an involved effort because the shoes were tight on the drums

Couple tips.

1. There is a star wheel used to adjust the rear brakes. Access is under a rubber plug on the axle side. This needs to be turned to back off the shoe from the drum. Careful, these turn opposite directions depending which side of the truck. Then the drum will remove without interference from the shoes.

2. Do one side at a time. This way the other side can be used as a reference.

3. Use your cell or digital camera. Take pictures of each piece and position as you remove the piece. Then watch the pictures in reverse order to reassemble.

4. Find a service manual and use it as a reference.

5. Prepare for rust and dust.

6. Use jack stands.

My last tip, given to me by my father. Force is an answer, it may not be the right answer.

Take pics ,,,,u tube it ,,,easy job
It took me hours that turned into months to complete to even get my powder coated drums off :eek: months ago
I needed to clean, check why the parking is seized, and do a gasket install
I did not take apart any shoes or springs and hope I do not have to in order to replace bell crank that's sticky in the morning

It took me hours that turned into months to complete to even get my powder coated drums off :eek: months ago
I needed to clean, check why the parking is seized, and do a gasket install
I did not take apart any shoes or springs and hope I do not have to in order to replace bell crank that's sticky in the mornin

Couple tips.

1. There is a star wheel used to adjust the rear brakes. Access is under a rubber plug on the axle side. This needs to be turned to back off the shoe from the drum. Careful, these turn opposite directions depending which side of the truck. Then the drum will remove without interference from the shoes.

2. Do one side at a time. This way the other side can be used as a reference.

3. Use your cell or digital camera. Take pictures of each piece and position as you remove the piece. Then watch the pictures in reverse order to reassemble.

4. Find a service manual and use it as a reference.

5. Prepare for rust and dust.

6. Use jack stands.

My last tip, given to me by my father. Force is an answer, it may not be the right answer.
Thank you. I’ll definitely do that. Thx

Take a photo of the setup before you take any of the brake components off. That way you'll have a reference.

I'm almost 70 now, and done brake shoes since the late 1960's. Their easy once you do a couple. Even easier if you have the right spring tools. Did the last toyota rear shoes on my tundra at 150k miles, but they really didn't need new ones yet. I would think unless hauling large loads all the time, you'd never need to replace them.

Take a photo of the setup before you take any of the brake components off. That way you'll have a reference.
Best just to pull both drums off at the same time, and do one while having the other to copy if you get stuck how it goes back together.

Good idea and loosening the tensioner so the shoes aren’t slammed against the Drums, thx for all the advice everyone.. just got through completely dismantling and cleaning my throttle body & mass air flow sensor late last night (the older I get the less I sleep LOL 55) got it all back together and sounds great, hoping it improves my fuel mileage like some people say but who knows? Probably do the brakes this weekend or next. Thx again for all the advice everyone.

Back