rear bumper specs?

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 346k on the 0D0
curious if there are known rear bumper specs on Gen2. such as how far out they should stick?

are they pushed in rather easily say it you back up into something hard enough to make a dent in the lower part of the bumper?

Stock bumpers are very flimsy and if you hit anything they will dent. You can send it out for repair or exchange for a re-chromed or buy a new one.

It is dented!
Does it get pushed in easily? I don't feel a firm footing when I stand sideways on it to climb in back
Body shop that gave it a glance said maybe an inch at best and would be multi hundreds in coin to just pull out that little bit or get a new bumper for who knows how much...
Another body shop inspector said he saw no difference in how far it was currently and how much step they give you to stand on it

Stock bumpers are very flimsy and if you hit anything they will dent. You can send it out for repair or exchange for a re-chromed or buy a new one.

how about those flimsy Gen2 stock front/skid splash guards, both of them in front are crusted bad! even the fasteners are rotted from the salty slop that accumulates and dries there and activates with a hint of freezing mist in the air

Last edited:
Bumpers are meant to get banged up. Their purpose is to protect the rest of the truck. I believe the rear bumper is hard mounted to the frame. If its been pushed in, then some damage is present. Cruise to the local salvage yard. You may be able to score a bumper in good nick that needs a bit of paint.

Jay, when you refer to "splash guards" are you referring to the fender liners? If so, those are plastic and held on with a handful of plastic push pins and a couple of screws. Pleas post a picture of the parts that are crusted.

Actually, to me, its pretty amazing how the body of these trucks "snap" together with push pins and clips.

i usually call them 'skid plates' under the engine until I was told those stock things won't protect a thing once you wheel over a good-sized obstacle lol

a better term i suppose would be the Engine Under Cover(s) as in this parts diagram

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/us...152_suspension-crossmember-under-cover#51405A

511166E.png

Last edited:
I've always called that a skid plate. I won't speak to its durability in a high center situation. Although, I'd rather sacrifice that than the oil pan.

When you say splash guards, I think the of parts like fender liners and splash guards between the wheel and the engine bay.

how about those flimsy Gen2 stock front/skid splash guards, both of them in front are crusted bad! even the fasteners are rotted from the salty slop that accumulates and dries there and activates with a hint of freezing mist in the air
How about 'em ???
? :eek:

Bumper is non-chromed
It's just plain black!

521241J.png

Bumper Face Bar
276$ post discount from MSRP 400$

are other parts going to need new or do they just pop off and transfer over?

this piece is not available... WTH ???

Bumper Face Bar Reinforcement Beam (Rear)​

Salvage yard. Or Fleabay.

Many owners remove stock bumpers to replace with aftermarket bumpers for bro points.

this is a black bumper btw
no chrome
and it has rusty crust underneath developing, probably at the non-available part :confused:

salvage yard?
do you think people are ready to junk their Gen2 taco already? they are only at most 18yrs old!

Some are junked by accidents................

My Gen2 is only 16 years old. Running great with minor corrosion issues. Only weak point is the 7 yo battery, which I expect will die this winter.

Not really. T-bone, head on, roll-over.......

Generally, anytime an airbag is deployed the vehicle gets totaled.

Downside to salvage yards is most will bale anything older than 10 years. They bring in a car baler, squash the car into a cube, sell for scrap metal. They have limited storage space.

Anyhow, a phone call or two could confirm if a rear bumper assembly is available at the yard.

let me check the local upullit yard
their entrance fee recently went from 2$ to 3$ and they provide NO PICS no info other than year and model
i don't like walking into that place blind

checked onit we have an '07 Taco in one yard her and a '99 in the Des Moines yard

Man, stick a crowbar in that wallet to pry out another dollar. :rolleyes:

You might check Carney's Salvage in Ames, IA. Less than 1 hour North of Des Moines.

Man, stick a crowbar in that wallet to pry out another dollar. :rolleyes:

You might check Carney's Salvage in Ames, IA. Less than 1 hour North of Des Moines.
you don't think i should go outside the salt belt like i had to for the corolla for some new unrotted doors

Back