Rubber trim around fender flairs.

Changeling

I just bought a 2001 Tacoma Limited. The rubber/whatever trim has came loose around one of the rear fender flairs where it meets the body and just hanging down. I don't know if it is supposed to be sandwiched between the flair and the body or just positioned there using some sort of sealant.
Flairs are painted to match the body (Black).

How do I fix it?

If it is only on one of the flares, then someone tried to take it off. It is not a sealant type of thing, I tried to take mine off and the same thing happened to me. It is sandwich in between the body and the flare itself.

If it is only on one of the flares, then someone tried to take it off. It is not a sealant type of thing, I tried to take mine off and the same thing happened to me. It is sandwich in between the body and the flare itself.

How do I get it back into place. Is there screws holding it down or what?

The best you can do it try to hot glue it back to the flare. Here's a pi of mine. I tried to just shove it back in there, then a week late it came out ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1382728354.042013.jpg

Thanks, yours came out in a worse place than mine.

Mine came out at the front/bottom of the right rear tire. About 6 inches of the material. I'll come up with some idea on a fix and let you know.

Did you get my letter?

No problem. I also will let you know if I have found anything to fix it. As for the letter, I have not yet received it.

No problem. I also will let you know if I have found anything to fix it. As for the letter, I have not yet received it.

Good grief Yota why didn't you say something. I mailed it out over 10 days ago!
I'll get you another letter out tomorrow, that first one has had time to get to Mars!!:sad:

In regard to putting the trim back in the flair/body crevice, I bought a tube of Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive today at Wall Mart (under $4.00 for 3 oz) , I'm going to give that a go and see if it works. It's a flexible type adhesive witch one would want, so up front it looks like it will work well, but you never know! It also came in clear.

I'm just going to put a little bit down the edge of the trim, push it in and have something handy to lean against it till it partially cures (1 Hour).

It just hit me that tomorrow is Sunday so I'll have a new letter out to you Monday, sorry!

Wow, I never knew mail could go to Mars. I can't wait to see if your idea will work.

Mars mail, maybe not now but in another 30 years It just might happen. All depends if we can find vast amounts of water under the Martian landscape.

I won't be trying to glue the trim back into it's slot till later this week, when the weather is supposed to get back up into the mid 60's. I believe that will help things cure a little better then now, in my area of Maryland we are experiencing a "Cold Snap" right now.

I'll post how it came out hear once I get it done. It's only a 5 minute job at most but one wants the temperature to be warm to allow the adhesive to cure before it has a chance to migrate/move, witch could screw things up.

This stuff has a 1 hour set-up time and 24 hour cure time .

Yota4life, it worked, I think ! The temperature here got up to about 65 degrees, so I figured it was now are wait till next year!!!

The first thing I did wrong is cut the tip on the silicone adhesive to big, so I squeezed a little bit out onto a clean piece of cardboard (about big as your hand, the cardboard).

Then I took a tooth pick and applied small amounts down into the gap between the flair/body (for the length of trim that came out).
Pushed the "trim" back into place, covered the area with a piece of wax paper big enough to cover the whole work area just in case some squeezed out (didn't want it sticking to anything), and leaned a weight against it.

This was all about 15 minutes ago, I'm just going to leave it like this till tomorrow.

The bad part is there is going to be a bad storm coming through here this afternoon through tomorrow. However if it sets up OK I don't think the rain will affect it whatsoever.:thumbup:

I might be trying that out soon. I received your mail today, thank you very much.

You are quite welcome, you did a great job.

That storm I had knocked everything down I had leaning against the truck to hold things in place but evidently it had enough time to set up the silicone adhesive.

It turned out perfect, no flaws or anything. Let me know how yours turns out.:thumbsup:

I just bought a 2001 Tacoma Limited. The rubber/whatever trim has came loose around one of the rear fender flairs where it meets the body and just hanging down. I don't know if it is supposed to be sandwiched between the flair and the body or just positioned there using some sort of sealant.
Flairs are painted to match the body (Black).

How do I fix it?

Gorilla glue, or super glue. Problem solved.

Mars mail, maybe not now but in another 30 years It just might happen. All depends if we can find vast amounts of water under the Martian landscape.

I won't be trying to glue the trim back into it's slot till later this week, when the weather is supposed to get back up into the mid 60's. I believe that will help things cure a little better then now, in my area of Maryland we are experiencing a "Cold Snap" right now.

I'll post how it came out hear once I get it done. It's only a 5 minute job at most but one wants the temperature to be warm to allow the adhesive to cure before it has a chance to migrate/move, witch could screw things up.

This stuff has a 1 hour set-up time and 24 hour cure time .
10 years have done passed by since your 30 year mars mail forecast
20 years are left
Is it still a go?

Back