Shocks

FWIW, shocks won't "soften" the ride. They only control the bounce from the springs. If you want a softer ride, then you should consider springs with the next step down in spring rate. This will likely drive a change in shocks and total load capacity of the truck.

The compression valving in shocks will play a part on a softer ride. I've had shocks that gave a lumber wagon type ride. I'd like to try a set of kyb's on my 2020 tacoma. They claim a set of factory bilsteins will give a softer ride as on the trd's.

Yes, the shock's valving will have an impact. How does one quantify a softer ride?

The damping fluid will also have an impact. And ambient temperature. Suspension geometry. Tires. Tire pressure.

Many components affect the ride quality beyond springs and shocks.

I've still got the hi-crapie shocks in my 2020 sr5 which aren't horrible as long as you keep the tire pressure around 32 psi and never go over that.

There is a broken bridge here on i80 in a high traffic city limits area that if you go the speed limit 65 the back end will jump airborne and come down off centered you can feel the backend regain traction and jerk out to get back on center trajectory

Is this a rear shock or leaf issue?

It Happens on my rig and also my relatives '11 taco with original parts still

There is a broken bridge here on i80 in a high traffic city limits area that if you go the speed limit 65 the back end will jump airborne and come down off centered you can feel the backend regain traction and jerk out to get back on center trajectory

Is this a rear shock or leaf issue?

It Happens on my rig and also my relatives '11 taco with original parts still
Multiple simple solutions: Change lanes, slow down, use a different road, put a 500 lb load in the bed, call the IDOT

Unloaded pickups have a tendency to hop when impacting a sharp bump at high speeds.

Welcome to IA winter roads. They're a bitch.

ya, i stay in the SLOW far right lane, i think there are 4 lanes through each side but i do not feel like going 75 to 85 in that far left inside lane which MAYBE not as sketch, but this break spans both ways all the way across :(
its going to collapse :eek: :eek: :eek:

they spent 2 years fixing this same sorta broken crap at the 84th bridge over creek after letting it go for years and years
and now they are letting this hazard go for years and years until somebody dies i guess from loss of control at high speed

also..this is NDOT through the western Omaha area heading to stinkin Lincoln!... IDOT does the Council Bluffs which is not near as horrific passing thru on i80
i called them once or twice to complain but they just shrug me off and seem irritated LOL

Last edited:
i have 140 pounds of sandbags back there holding down, is this NOT enough??

this is NDOT through the western Omaha area heading to stinkin Lincoln!... IDOT does the Council Bluffs which is not near as horrific passing thru on i80

OMG....you said something nearly positive about IA. Gotta get a cup of Joe to celebrate.

140 lbs........The truck thinks it has a Jr High kid in back. No, that is a token weight. Makes you feel good, but not very effective. I don't have one in this truck, but in the past I used the ShurTrax water bladder in my GMC 2500HD. IIRC, the smaller ShurTrax bladder will place about 3-400 lbs in the bed.

Its a pretty slick system. Late fall fill with water using a garden hose. It is tied down in the bed during fill. It will freeze into a block of ice without splitting the bladder. In the Spring, remove the fill cap, it will drain as it thaws. It is only about 2 inches thick and will handle loads on top, especially when frozen. There were loads which caused me concern on tearing, but a simple 3/8" sheet of plywood solved the concern.

Side benefits, it doesn't slide around in the bed, just folds up to store, empty weight is maybe 5 lbs, no sandy mess in the bed, the load is evenly distributed in the bed.

I need to get one for the truck before winter of 2023 arrives.

OMG....you said something nearly positive about IA. Gotta get a cup of Joe to celebrate.

140 lbs........The truck thinks it has a Jr High kid in back. No, that is a token weight. Makes you feel good, but not very effective. I don't have one in this truck, but in the past I used the ShurTrax water bladder in my GMC 2500HD. IIRC, the smaller ShurTrax bladder will place about 3-400 lbs in the bed.

Its a pretty slick system. Late fall fill with water using a garden hose. It is tied down in the bed during fill. It will freeze into a block of ice without splitting the bladder. In the Spring, remove the fill cap, it will drain as it thaws. It is only about 2 inches thick and will handle loads on top, especially when frozen. There were loads which caused me concern on tearing, but a simple 3/8" sheet of plywood solved the concern.

Side benefits, it doesn't slide around in the bed, just folds up to store, empty weight is maybe 5 lbs, no sandy mess in the bed,

I need to get one for the truck before winter of 2023 arrives.

i have nothing good to say about i29 south toward Missouri border in either direction, especially that bridge over IA hwy 2 by Nebraska City
BUT!!!
that road has been FLOODED twice in the past dozen years
literally destroyed a couple small Iowa towns because they could not build a levee high enough per gov't reg

Back