SHOCKS

Truck2020

I am new here, My Tacoma is a 2020, 4x4 Access Cab, 4cyl. My question is: Are there better aftermarket shocks? The original shocks seem okay, but a few people have mentioned original shocks really aren't that great. Any suggetions? Thank you.

Idk, as I have a 2020 access cab also that came with those hitachi oem shocks. Imo, they felt pretty good once the suspension settled in. Quality is also rated better than average for these shocks, so don't believe some of this internet b.s. Shocks control compression, and the rebound rate of the vehicles suspension springs. My gen1 tundra had kyb's, and that rode more big car like, due to a softer spung chassis. Those shocks held up well also. I guess if I were to go with another brand shock, I'd try kyb's, or bilsteins.

Last edited:
Why do you think you need shocks? Just because some stranger on a forum said the OEM shocks are not the best on the market.

How does the truck handle? Does porpoise after bumps? Does it nose dive in hard braking? Are the shocks leaking? What is the mileage on the truck?

Op's likely been reading some misinformation from sites like tw claiming Hitachi shocks are junk. I've had them on my truck for well over 4 years....they seem fine so far.
The only reason I might try something else when the time comes, is the shocks availability and cost. I know kyb would be a good choice if these should take a dump.

Yes, 50-60 kmiles is typical lifespan of shocks.

Knowing Jay, he is prolly trying to stretch the replacement to 400 kmiles.

Yes, 50-60 kmiles is typical lifespan of shocks.

Knowing Jay, he is prolly trying to stretch the replacement to 400 kmiles.
Generally thats around 7 years. I think even kyb claims their shocks are good for 5-7 years with normal use when I bought some rear ones to replace the oem kyb's on my gen1 tundra. They were better than monroe's I tried years later, although I did like the monroe quick struts up front. Kyb's are priced right vs bilstein, which imo are over rated for an everyday driver. They're better suited if you do more off-road.

Leaking is only one factor. The mounting eye rubber bushings can fail, or the oil internally can get contaminated, and burn't losing its ability to dampen as well, or even the nitrogen gas will slowly leak out over time reducing the shocks effectiveness. Trust me, I did years of shock valving, and tuning with rebuildable gas shocks, and forks when i was racing motocross, and enduro bikes.

Last edited:
Might have to remove rear wheels on gen2 to get at those shocks mounts
Xtra time needed, might as well pull drums, clean, inspect seals and put new drum gaskets on at same time

Back