SHOCKS

Shocks, and struts are simple to replace on these tacoma's, and tundras. You could probably do all 4 corners of the vehicle yourself for less than $400 using kyb stuff.
front shock absorbers look to need a spring compressor to swap in new absorbers?
i shall have to consult the diagram of parts

No need to pull the rear wheels, you can remove those rear shocks just as the truck sits. The front struts you'll need to remove the wheels along with breaking down the ball joint, and sway bar link if replacing the strut as an entire assembly, other wise you'll need a coil spring compressor if only replacing the shock itself. It can be a pita it rusty hardware. Torch can be your best friend on those rear shocks. Both aren't that difficult using simple hand tools.

why not pull rear wheels and DO THE CHECKS as i had mentioned...huh?
do you think some Sh!tShop is gonna do All That 4U ??

the Sh!TShop FORGOT to assemble the front brakes properly secure Years Ago...

Why do you keep gravitating toward those places? Build a good relationship with a well respected independent shop if you're unable to do your own work. Some of these guys must take you as just falling off the turnip truck.

I think kyb sells a complete shock/coil spring assembly for a gen2. I know others like monroe, and rough country do also.

You can prolly purchase an entire front strut. Then a spring compressor is not needed. Yes, you'll have to separate the lower control arm. That is an easy task to remove a couple bolts. IIRC, the lower ball joint does not need to be split. This needs to be done to wrangle the strut out. At the age of your truck the springs have likely taken a set or becoming fatigued.

Plan about 1 hour per shock for a DIY replacement. Assuming your skill level is at a beginner and mobility or strength are a bit compromised.

I have done all for shocks on a '02 Chevy Trailblazer and have replace the front axles on my Tacoma. Didn't split a single ball joint on either ride.

If you don't like Monroe, then don't buy Monroe.

Quit whining and get to it.

Monroe sux like bloody arse do
The monroe complete strut assembly were excellent when I put them on my gen1 tundra. They offered 2 different models...I went with the higher end ones that had their sensa-trac valving. Truck rode like a limo, yet took sharp hits well....was so impressed I bought their rears, which I felt the original kyb's did a better job. I felt the rebound on the monroe shocks was causing the rear suspension to pack. I put up with them for awhile, but it didn't get any better.

Frankly, I think the only tool Jay uses is his complaint tool. He continuously moans about how bad everything is and slop shop mechanics and yet he doesn't do anything to solve his issue.

Anyone here who does work on their rides knows that struts can be replaced as an entire assembly. They also know the job is pretty simple only requiring the basic of hand tools and a jack.

Oh well, he isn't happy unless he is complaining about something. His woes are falling on my def ears.

A classic taco hypochondriac case if there's such a thing. From what I've been told, its a lot worse on tw.

Back