Smelling hot smell in 4WD

Camren Harris

Hey it doesn't happen everytime but I'm smelling a hot smell when I'm in 4WD and the truck is having to work harder. Climbing a steep dune hill or trying to get unstuck in the mud. It also happens when I tow some trailers. Not too heavy though. Any ideas what it might be?

Might be the clutch if you have a manual transmission, especially if it’s under a load and grabbing gears to get traction/unstuck. It may be brakes if you are riding them a little.

It's a 2016 offroad automatic. And it doesn't smell like brakes or tires. Plus it does it without having used the brake much at all.

Thankfully it's still under warranty so I can take it in. It's done this since the beginning so idk maybe it was a little naive of me but I thought maybe it was because it was a brand new engine and needed to burn through some brand new engine stuff.ha idk

Do you think it's cuz it's a newer engine or something or do they just have that nasty hot smell when they are getting worked like that?

Oh...haha idk how to explain it. It just smells hot to me. But doesn't smell like brakes or tires or how you described a burning CAT.

Back