spark plugs... how long do you let them go for

i took a gander or 2 or 3 at the task...
a couple looked ezpz to get at
one had minor top stuffs (plastic box, clamps, hoses) needing removed to get at
i wanted to know what they have to do to remove to get at the back driver side area but they would not ever tell me $hit about how they do it... very secretive bull$hit i reckon
maybe they use some specialty wobbly tool to get at the seriously buried one under the intake i cannot even stick my fingers into reach that spot with security and confidence. my neck has serious knots in it and at times is a hindrance at reaching far away spots that are NOT right in front of my nose

this 'yota/lexus shop used to be 95$ hour rate a few years ago now they are at 125$ ... spark plug removal and install was an hour for skilled tech
they did not check, test nor do anything else for a standard 'tune-up' ... are you not supposed to at least check the PCV valve ???
the plugs they used cost 10$ each which i am definitely confused about since the dealer MSRP plugs are not much more than 3$

Find a different shop.

I have purchased plugs from the Toyota dealer for less $$ than the Auto store. My plugs are the cheapy Cu Denso single ground. They cost about $5/each at Toyota. Auto store wanted $11/ea for the same plug....I smiled, said "No Thanks, Bye."

The shop is probably trying to sell you some high $$ plugs that your truck doesn't need. Check your Owner's Manual. It will have the plug requirements. If the shop is pushing something different, just refuse that plug and ask for the Toyota specified plug. If they push back, say "Thanks, but No Thanks", then walk away to another shop.

the local Toyota dealer shop wanted 300$ for a spark plug change... i shook my head and walked away
this indie shop gets high praises and all that jazz
they may have gotten too big for their own good, however
its not like it was several years ago

this is the line item description for those 10$ plugs

denso twin ground standard plug 3.4L 3194 k16tr11 denso k16tr11 3194

Interesting...... I think you're getting screwed. Are these part store or dealer pricing??

RockAuto has an NGK 3967 (basic Cu/Ni dual ground) for the 3.4L in the '97 Toyota Tacoma for $3.74/ea.
or
Denso 3289 double platinum for $5.25
or
NGK 96457 ruthenium for $8.56

There are also choices of Bosch, ACDelco, Champion, Autolite and Motorcraft.

they source genuine oem parts from the local dealer parts department and charge MSRP. so no upcharge supposedly

Those look past due.
Gaps are getting large due to ground tip damage.
Center electrodes are chipped and rounded.

What is the recommended change interval for your truck...30K?

30k as far as i know with the standard plugs

how do i find what type those plugs are that came out
to if they are 60k rated or not

Out of curiosity, I watched that whole video.

Some of her disassembly techniques leave me uneasy. I promote hand tools for this type of work. Cordless tools can easily snap small fasteners that are seized or over tight. Using hand tools, you have a feed back thru your hands that things aren't right.

I also noticed she doesn't loosen clamps on hoses.....just pry them suckers off.

Interesting only 3 coils. Must be using a lost spark system. So if a coil goes bad, then 2 cylinders will misfire. Maybe it is a good idea to replace the coils every 100 kmiles.

Overall a good How-To video. She is cute and easy to listen too, but too many tats for my taste. To each their own.

well i honestly thought that ALL of that intake manifold etc on top had to be removed to get at those buried plug or two

she mentioned that Toyota recs the plugs on this 3.4 engine to be changed every 90k miles but i thought it was 30k or was it 60k?

those coils are DAMNED pricey to be replacing every 100k miles!

Luvin' my 1GR-FE 4.0L V-6. EASY service.

Ok, question for you. Have you ever changed the coils on your truck? How many miles since the last coil change????

I suspect the answers are Never and 250,000+ miles.

In fact, I think its time to make a donut run to Kwik Star for a couple of dunkers, ice coffee and a 6 pk for New Year's Eve.

coils are original OEM that look a bit weathered on the surface!
no CEL has ever been thrown on 'em

i did get a new set of OEM wires date stamped 2o2o at 197k miles to replace the original 1997 date-stamped wires

pics pending...

" I don't think oil type or change interval (if following normal guidelines) creates carbon buildup.

Plugs that are worn and create incomplete combustion, clogged PCV systems and EGR systems and bottom level fuel with inadequate additives are heavy players. Now if he was well maintained these items are probably unlikely, since they also tend to create driveability issues.

Weeping valve guides allowing unburnt fuel to seep in and normal cylinder wear allowing excessive blow by of crankcase gasses are much more suspect contributors in this case. Because 450k. As in just worn out. "

regarding old 22RE on late 80s truck

Back