Stealth Oil change places

billssr5

As the title says I'm sending out feelers to find some safe and low profile and possibly low visibility places to do my trucks OCI, reason being I am losing my normal spot to do it since the area I have been using has been repaved and sealed so Ive lost the use since the owner is worried about oil drips leaks from it, even tho I have been very carefull in the past using cardboard mat. To no avail I dont want tp push it with these people since they have been good in the past. Any ideas or previous places you've used that work without trespassing or problems with the law that have been used are welcome. I like to do my own oil changes myself and really dont want to go to the Stealership $$$$$$$ or Iffy lube places to get it done. Ive seen some folks actually doing engine work in the parking lot of an Autozone a few times I dont know how they would feel about doing oil changes there plus I have my own oil and filters that I dont buy from them. Doing it in the public street where I live could be very iffy because of traffic and nosey neighbors.

This might seem strange, but It's called owning a home......either that or you need to watch the tv show Roadkill where they do a quick oil change in just about any parking lot in their travels.....burnouts to. At any rate do avoid any of those quick change oil shops. Believe it or not there are some really good toyota dealers, and independently owned shops.

Last edited:
This might seem strange, but It's called owning a home......either that or you need to watch the tv show Roadkill where they do a quick oil change in just about any parking lot in their travels.....burnouts to. At any rate do avoid any of those quick change oil shops. Believe it or not there are some really good toyota dealers, and independently owned shops.
yeah i watch ROADKILL they do some beyond sketchy parking lot stuff but then thats a TV show and may have some leeway with doing those things. Also im not trying to buy a house at this time so Im looking for some ideas on where others who may rent and arent allowed to maintain their cars at those places due to policies or other reasons, can get the job done without stepping on toes or arousing Johnny law to investigate, surely there must be others who have ran into this issue and found a place they can DIY an OCI without an issue.

Walmart lot?
Do you need a rapidpump jack to get your truck up high enough for extra clearance

Walmart lot?
Do you need a rapidpump jack to get your truck up high enough for extra clearance
yeah i was thinking of that, my area Walmart has a little parking lot area behind the store where they have the Auto bays when you drive in for a service,I'll have to scope that out, they also have Security people driving around this area since it has many other major stores in this shopping plaza. This shouldnt take too long to do because i've done it many times but I wasnt under any pressure to do it fast or not knowing if I would get busted by some security or owners not liking people doing this sort of thing on private property, not quite sure about how they would react. Also i dont need to jackup I got 4wd and can get to drain plug and filter but just scooting under.

If set on renting, you'd need to find a landlord that doesn't mind. I don't know if one of these chain auto parts stores would allow you to do an oil change in their lot, but you can always ask..saying you'll even buy the oil, and filter from them if ok.

yeah i was thinking of that, my area Walmart has a little parking lot area behind the store where they have the Auto bays when you drive in for a service,I'll have to scope that out, they also have Security people driving around this area since it has many other major stores in this shopping plaza. This shouldnt take too long to do because i've done it many times but I wasnt under any pressure to do it fast or not knowing if I would get busted by some security or owners not liking people doing this sort of thing on private property, not quite sure about how they would react. Also i dont need to jackup I got 4wd and can get to drain plug and filter but just scooting under.

are you NASCAR quik about it like where they recruit (or i heard used to) for pit crew in Paterson NJ

If set on renting, you'd need to find a landlord that doesn't mind. I don't know if one of these chain auto parts stores would allow you to do an oil change in their lot, but you can always ask..saying you'll even buy the oil, and filter from them if ok.
yeah it seems these days that people ruin it for all others by leaving trash behind and oily messes in the parking lots Ive noticed where they did some engine work or maintainence work in their lots, I work for a labor union and they have tools, grease guns, grease cartridges at their training center and they would'nt loan you a screwdriver because of people would start repairing their cars in the expansive parking lot, its understandable because of slobs taking advantage and do complete engine swaps there and leaving a giant mess with loaner tools missing in action

yeah it seems these days that people ruin it for all others by leaving trash behind and oily messes in the parking lots Ive noticed where they did some engine work or maintainence work in their lots, I work for a labor union and they have tools, grease guns, grease cartridges at their training center and they would'nt loan you a screwdriver because of people would start repairing their cars in the expansive parking lot, its understandable because of slobs taking advantage and do complete engine swaps there and leaving a giant mess with loaner tools missing in action
Your absolutely right! some people are slops. When I ran my shop, it was unbelievable to see some low life once pull into the shops parking lot, and start emptying all their garbage from their car on the asphalt lot. I got so pissed off at this young lady, she called me every name in the book when I asked just what the ''bleep'' are you doing. She even tried to tell me this was a public lot, and I had no right to question her. Ok I replied, I'll call our finest, and we'll all figure it out....further I said, if you don't pick up all your chit being a privately owned property, I will press charges. She swore her ass off at me, but finally took all her chit, and left.

FWIW, I have a 6x4 tarp to toss under the truck. It at least makes a barrier between the mess and the floor.

I guess the landlord where he rents won't go for a tarp, or even a large sheet of cardboard. When I did my home's rugs, I now use a roughly 4x8 piece left over from one room to lay on under truck for oil changes.

A weekend gig at the quickie lube place might afford you use of them pits they have
It did for I many moons ago

I would suspect the quick lube place would prohibit such work due potential liability and insurance restrictions.

how does insurance restrict an employee of said quiklube place that has proper training

All I can comment on the property insurance I had on my shop, the insurance company frowned on people/kids using the lot to skateboard on or play other games while no one was there. I really didn't give a crap as long as nothing was broken.....including them. Lucky I never was sued.

brandonfarris-stealthy-ninja.gif

how does insurance restrict an employee of said quiklube place that has proper training
The insurance does not restrict the employee. It does restrict non-employees. Just about every auto repair shop in the nation has restrictions on customers being in the shop or performing their own work.

The insurance does not restrict the employee. It does restrict non-employees. Just about every auto repair shop in the nation has restrictions on customers being in the shop or performing their own work.
Yep. As far as inside the building, customers were not allowed in my shops service area. They were restricted to the office. I even had signs for ''employees only'', but you'd always get some that couldn't read.

Back