Stealth Oil change places

My Dad saw a guy change his oil in the parking lot of Advance Auto part way back in the day. The guy parked over the sewer drain and when he got his drain plug free, the oil just went down the drain. Real nice

I saw the same years ago at an advanced auto parts store where a guy was changing his cars oil, and battery there. At least he used a steel oil collection pan when doing so. Advance auto must of gave him permission, or didn't care.

FYI, I swung by my local AUTOZONE today and asked the manager about me changing my oil there in the lot and said they allow it as long as the vehicle is not jacked up when doing so because of people who've had vehicles fall on top of them and they are not going to be held liable for doing it, I assured I didnt need to jack up my truck at all in order to do the change and I would also make sure there would be no mess or garbage left behind and appreciated the fact that they allowed people who don't have the facilities of their own to do it and would save quite a bit of money DIYing it. Also there was no mention of having to buy anything at the store in order to do it there. So aheads up to those who need to DIY a OCI I would definetly ask first and present yourself to them in an respondsible adult who appreciates the fact they allow you on their property to do auto work. Also they mentioned about that they have old oil recycling there too and have a little parking area behind the store would be a good area to do it.

My Dad saw a guy change his oil in the parking lot of Advance Auto part way back in the day. The guy parked over the sewer drain and when he got his drain plug free, the oil just went down the drain. Real nice
thats the main reason that theres an aversion by property owners not to allow people to do even minor auto maintainence on private properties AKA parking lots, apartment/condo lots, mall and store plaza lots etc etc. slobs and idiots ruin it for other respondsible individuals who know better and appreciate the use of their property.

FYI, I swung by my local AUTOZONE today and asked the manager about me changing my oil there in the lot and said they allow it as long as the vehicle is not jacked up when doing so because of people who've had vehicles fall on top of them and they are not going to be held liable for doing it, I assured I didnt need to jack up my truck at all in order to do the change and I would also make sure there would be no mess or garbage left behind and appreciated the fact that they allowed people who don't have the facilities of their own to do it and would save quite a bit of money DIYing it. Also there was no mention of having to buy anything at the store in order to do it there. So aheads up to those who need to DIY a OCI I would definetly ask first and present yourself to them in an respondsible adult who appreciates the fact they allow you on their property to do auto work. Also they mentioned about that they have old oil recycling there too and have a little parking area behind the store would be a good area to do it.
It would be a common courtesy to 'buy something' anything! in the store
Just something little...
Air fresheners
Candy bars
etc.

Last edited:
Last time I bought a bunch of pistachios at an auto parts store, I think they must have been at least 5 years old. Probably should have gone for the peanuts,or jerky.

UPDATE:
Did my first stealth OCI at an Aldi's parking lot right next to AUTOZONE because of more space and incognito work area was better there with some limited shade. Pretty much went off as planned without any hitchs or unwanted attention from anyone asking questions. Only slight issue was i had a little hard time trying to thread on the new 90915-yzzd3 oil filter which had occured before, if you dont line them up and apply the right push pressure they seem like they wont thread on easily i was about to go get another oil filter at the ZONE but calmed myself and got farther up under the truck to get a better position with the right finger tip twist and upward pressure she finally grabbed. Victory.
Advice to others who may have to go this route make sure you have a checklist of items and a mental checklist on the steps in your head the night before then execute them, use a cardboard mat underneath to catch any spouting oil(i got the 2.7l engine and removing the filter is very messy) as not to leave any residuals on the pavement.
Be a good steward and dispose of all trash and used oil at the AUTOZONE so no problems in the future.

Kitty litter is cheaper, or take along some speedy dry.
having a good sized cardboard box piece does a great job to sop up loose dripping oil, and you can slide on it to get under plus no dirty clothes from pavement, plus its free from behind the supermarket. gets too old then just toss it and get another.

Back