suspension woes + leaf springs... Gen1

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 351k on the 0D0
how do you know if leaf springs are shot?
the AdvanceAutoParts (AAP) directed me to look into this and why the rough ride on trashed broken roads did not dissipate much after putting in the new Monroe quikStruts in the front. I still need to replace the Toyota rear shocks with the KYB brand i bot last month, maybe those will make a difference but IDK :(

another thing i have been noticing is when i jacked up the truck at the transmission crossmember area to check the front driver wheel wobble and bad bearing, when i lowered the truck it looked like it had a 3" lift where it would not settle down to normal stock height... big gap in the wheel housing area in the front... what might cause this and the remedy for it

I usually change a leaf spring when they break. I guess if the truck is sagging from when it was new, its time for them to go. Its the shocks that control the springs compression and rebound to be more concerned about.

I usually change a leaf spring when they break. I guess if the truck is sagging from when it was new, its time for them to go. Its the shocks that control the springs compression and rebound to be more concerned about.
i don't know if they are sagging or not, no breaks that i could readily find, just a little mild crusty here and there
its just so stiff back there maybe it should be IDK

i recall last year when i got some new bilstein 5100s in the front and toyota shocks in the rear that not much changed in the drivability on broken roads and pavement gaps
we are not talking potholes here now i can most always drive around to avoid them

the amount of good coin tacoma specialty suspension shops are throwing at me to 'maybe' resolve these issues is quite off-putting :mad:
i may contact this place in Denver to see what they have to offer

https://mountainyotas.com/

and then there is this place in CO
http://www.adlerautomotive.com/

I never changed a toyota leaf spring since the ones on my 1978 wolverine conversion leafs up front broke, and they were made by some speciality suspension shop in california were the truck was converted to 4wd at the time. Seem even all the shock mounts, and leaf spring perch's broke off the frame to. Their welds, and material thickness used must of be done by helen keller. We completely did the entire front end of the trucks suspension over. I even had to make some special angled 1 1/2'' steel blocks for the rear leafs to level the truck, and get the correct driveline angle. It was one bad ass little 4wd truck once all sorted out....the only one of its kind back in the day.

Springs support the weight of the truck and cargo.

Shocks only control the "bounce" of the springs.

Toyota truck leaf springs are known to be weak. The leaf spring should have a bow, like a smile, when the truck is unloaded. If the leaf spring is flat or has a bowed down, like a frown, then they need replacement.

Yep, shocks control the rate a spring compress's, and rebounds. They have little to do with holding up the suspension.

Springs support the weight of the truck and cargo.

Shocks only control the "bounce" of the springs.

Toyota truck leaf springs are known to be weak. The leaf spring should have a bow, like a smile, when the truck is unloaded. If the leaf spring is flat or has a bowed down, like a frown, then they need replacement.
yes, i think they are looking rather flat, even more so with those new KYB rear shocks put on a couple weeks ago

If the truck looks level all the time with nothing in the bed, those leafs could be tired.
it does look level while parked LOL
but that's a good look, no?
no idea what it looks like on the move

i've come across the term Tacoma 'rake' and needing of some leveling kit
but I don't have much more to go on until further research

so now i need to shop for new springs for the spring
what should i look at
old man emu, are those nice for stock height?
Whether you’re travelling on harsh Outback roads, using your vehicle for competition purposes or towing a camper trailer, the importance of a fully integrated 4×4 suspension system is paramount

Pickup trucks are typically a bit higher it the rear end. This "rake" is to compensate for a load in the bed.

IIRC, the design target is when the truck is at specified load capacity that it should ride level without the rear end dragging low.

Pickup trucks are typically a bit higher it the rear end. This "rake" is to compensate for a load in the bed.

IIRC, the design target is when the truck is at specified load capacity that it should ride level without the rear end dragging low.
Full size Spare tire must add a bit of weight I would imagine

Well well this looks to be much more involving than first thought :(
I reckon those front perch bolts are super seized onna salty rig
This guy is from Washington state good grief?

Last edited:
it does look level while parked LOL
but that's a good look, no?
no idea what it looks like on the move

i've come across the term Tacoma 'rake' and needing of some leveling kit
but I don't have much more to go on until further research
Just about every tacoma i've seen, and tundra of the vintage sat a bit higher in the rear when new. I have no clue why my 2020 tacoma has always sat perfectly level since i got it vs others i've seen, maybe the factory tonneau cover played a part, idk.

do i need to take a piccie of what my springs currently look like unloaded

Back