Tacoma in sand dunes

I think that crawl control can unstuck you if your stuck in sand, trying to get up a slope. Exactly like in the Toyota tutorial video. Friends of mine asked me last year, when we were in a sand pit, to get stuck to the frame trying to get up a steep slope.

I tried the crawl control forward and a friend told me that I was slowly moving forward. I didn’t notice, I didn’t have had the impression that I was moving at all.

But when I tried it backwards, it took less than a minute to get me unstuck. So it depends of the type of ground and if you still have the factory tires or not. At the time I had the factory tires on it. And still have them!!! Wish I had the money to change them, I would put a set of Cooper STT Pro!!

Last edited:
I took my 2017 taco trd offroad all stock to Algodones Dunes today. I had some concerns regarding my truck.
1. When running on sand up hill, It will not reach above 3000 rpm when on 4Hi.(gas peddle stepped all the way down)
2. It will not reach over 4000 rpm when on 4L. (gas peddle stepped all the way down)
This cause my stuck stop in the middle of the dunes. Anyone have any ideas? Attached some pics. View attachment 12138View attachment 12139View attachment 12140View attachment 12141View attachment 12142View attachment 12143View attachment 12144

I was stuck but Not stuck, tires were not deep in sand , the 4x4 just stopped working on my 2018 Tacoma TRD sport- ! i got a message on the display "hot Fluid" then a guy came by with his Tundra ( Military guy) Thank God and told me my lockers are out of wack??? this while the Shark tow truck circled around - so he told me that would pull me a few feet and then to put it on drive and should work and it did ! so WTF happened there? took it to service and they could not find anything wrong, so why the 4x4 stopped working? I drove about 200 feet on the heavy sand at Carolina beach and stopped! engine was running but truck was in gear with 4x4 engaged and tires would not spin! this is my second Tacoma I had a 2016 and never a problem!

I was stuck but Not stuck, tires were not deep in sand , the 4x4 just stopped working on my 2018 Tacoma TRD sport- ! i got a message on the display "hot Fluid" then a guy came by with his Tundra ( Military guy) Thank God and told me my lockers are out of wack??? this while the Shark tow truck circled around - so he told me that would pull me a few feet and then to put it on drive and should work and it did ! so WTF happened there? took it to service and they could not find anything wrong, so why the 4x4 stopped working? I drove about 200 feet on the heavy sand at Carolina beach and stopped! engine was running but truck was in gear with 4x4 engaged and tires would not spin! this is my second Tacoma I had a 2016 and never a problem!
your sport doesnt have factory lockers
sounds like you smoked your transmission
I assume u were trying to rock it back and forth violently?
other than that, Im lost

I took my 2017 taco trd offroad all stock to Algodones Dunes today. I had some concerns regarding my truck.
1. When running on sand up hill, It will not reach above 3000 rpm when on 4Hi.(gas peddle stepped all the way down)
2. It will not reach over 4000 rpm when on 4L. (gas peddle stepped all the way down)
This cause my stuck stop in the middle of the dunes. Anyone have any ideas? Attached some pics. View attachment 12138View attachment 12139View attachment 12140View attachment 12141View attachment 12142View attachment 12143View attachment 12144
Mine does the same thing!!
Mine does the same thing!! Did you figure out the issue?

I have tried trac control hold for 3 seconds trac off 4x4 hi and ect pwr on and still feel the loss of acceleration. Would putting it on s mode help?
S mode doesn't help either, Mine does the same thing. Still looking for the answer.....

I always drop tires to 15 -16 on the beach use s-mode .and seems fine .but we don't have the sugar sand ur driving on

Back