Tire wear

Creepy129

I was trying to warranty one of my tires at was damaged with road hazard. The tire store says my tires are wore down from 15/32 to 10/32 and say in that case I need to buy three more tires to match the one new tire is anybody had any issues like this, they say the forms backed up their policy and BFGoodrich back them up on the policy

I was trying to warranty one of my tires at was damaged with road hazard. The tire store says my tires are wore down from 15/32 to 10/32 and say in that case I need to buy three more tires to match the one new tire is anybody had any issues like this, they say the forms backed up their policy and BFGoodrich back them up on the policy
No comments no advice ? Nice

Oh, I'm sorry, we weren't immediately responding to your query. Typically, responses are not immediate. 24 hours or 2 days will find responses of value.

File the following in FWIW. Most tires hit the wear indicators at 2/32. So, at 10/32, you have roughly 8/32 left before new tires. You have run the tires long enough to remove 5 of the 13/32s, so the tires are about half shot (nearly 40% gone).

At most, the road hazard would be prorated based on the remaining tread.

Now, you install 1 new tire. The other 3 are about half-dead.

Generally, tires need to be replaced in pairs on the same axle at bare minimum. You don't state what truck you have, so I'll assume 4WD. The imbalance in the tire's circumference could wreak havoc with the drive train, specifically the transfer case and diffs.

Good luck with your decision.

I fully understand your choice of a screen name.

If only two tires are replaced I could see that causing issues with proper tire rotation going forward from the present

If only two tires are replaced I could see that causing issues with proper tire rotation going forward from the present
Radial tires are typically "rotated" front to back on the same side. Rarely do radials use the old bias ply tire cross pattern.

Besides, my tires rotate every time I drive.

I am unclear what radial tires
The Michelins I have now are crossed pattern at DT
Are they doing something wrong!!?

All tires today for passenger vehicles are radials, unless you specifically request them for an old vehicle made in the 60's, or older.
Have you considered maybe your doing something wrong?

Jay. Check your Owner's Manual for Toyota's recommendation on tire rotation. Follow that.

If your favorite DT is doing something different, then show them the OM.

Last edited:
It's good to put tires on the other side
To cross them
The wear evens out Much better it appears

Both my tundra, and this tacoma both show the same tire rotation procedure in the owners manual how to rotate tires. It's back to front, or front to back on each side. Read your manual.

i would need to know the WHY you should not cross a tire pattern over to the other side when rotated
the WHY is quite important...

would you like to see the treads i got with 110k and compare to the ones with 130k
goodYear vs Michelin... Michelin Always crossed at DT every 6to7k miles for 130k miles
the goodYear wrangler were only front to back and never crossed at the dealer rotations for 110k miles... the inside wear on those was very noticeable

Theoretically it's not done due to the internal construction bands that compose a radial tire. I've read in the past that those bands need to wear in by only one direction as the tire rotates. You never want to switch a 4wd radial tire from the driver side to the passenger, or visa versa.

i will need to contact DT with this information and inquire their knowledge base
the gen1 tires are due for a rotation + balance, nearing 7k miles since last serviced

i don't know if these are radial? they are all-season tires?
so i will glance around the lettering on the tires to See if Radial is printed upon them, that is the best i can do :confused:
they have 14k miles currently and only rotated once so far since installation

Theoretically it's not done due to the internal construction bands that compose a radial tire. I've read in the past that those bands need to wear in by only one direction as the tire rotates. You never want to switch a 4wd radial tire from the driver side to the passenger, or visa versa.

All season tires are radials...all tires used on today's vehicles come with radials. Tires need to be rotated every 6k miles for optimum thread wear.

Just follow your trucks owners manual for tire rotation, and you'll be fine. This isn't rocket science, or brain surgery.

Back