Towing set up, 4.88s and a heavy load. How can I make it a successful tow?

theEman

Hi All!

I wanted pick your brains on any potential problems, experience and suggestions about towing with my set up.

So, I will potentially be towing a 5'x10' tandem axel dump trailer with electric brakes about 2,000 miles on highway. The trailer dry is about 2,250 and loaded will be no more than 6,500 pounds. I am planning on adding a load distribution hitch with sway control to the trailer and hitch as well. Trailer's tires are load range C. The load will be very pretty hardwood taken from my grandmother's tree that was recently dropped.

I have a 2013 Tacoma 4x4 access cab with automatic transmission and the 6' bed. It came with the tow package as well. I have added ARB's OME Medium load package to the front and rear suspension (adding 2.5" front and rear), regard at 4.88 with nitro's, AFE Air Intake, and am running 285/75R/16 Duratracks load rating E. The brakes are stock but in good shape. The truck has 120K miles and has been cared for well over the span of her young life. I also only get 15mph on average, have a leer shell on it that I plan on removing before towing and cutting weight on the truck were I can.

Besides adding the load distribution hitch with sway control and a brake controller, what other pre trip maintenance should I preform? What problems do you foresee? Is this feasible? How is towing that load with 4.88s and how does the 4.88 gearing change towing? How is driving with the load and suggestions on how to take it easy on the transmission? What kind of speeds can I expect on flat and uphill? And ANY information or things to think about that would be insightful, helpful and that you guys think I haven't thought of yet. Please, poke holes in my plan!

Thank you in advance for all of your knowledge and wisdom!

Also, the towing bible in the forum has been of great help, now I just have specific questions to my set up.

Ps, also posted in the tacomawold forums, just trying to get as much info as possible quickly.

First and probably the most important is to stay within the tow ratings of your truck. The modifications do not increase load capability. Check your Owner's Manual for the load ratings. I'd guess, its 1000 lbs Cargo (on the truck) and about 6500 lb towing. So, you will be near max capacity of your truck.

Be sure to weigh the loaded trailer and the tongue weight. CAT scales are common. Remember, the tongue weight is considered as Cargo on the Truck. Eyeballing and guessing at the loaded weight is typically very very conservative resulting in under guessing the actual weight.

Based on my past experience pulling campers, the best way to manage trailer sway is proper load distribution and speed. The trailer brakes and controller will help if the trailer begins to sway. Just press the brake button on the controller, keep you truck speed constant. The trailer braking coupled with the constant truck speed should pull the trailer out of the sway. Once in control, gradually reduce your speed. Don't try to counter steer out of the sway.......it will only aggravate the problem potentially leading to a catastrophic end.

As far as pre-trip maintenance, consider fluid changes in the Trans, Diffs and Xfer. Also, check the U-joints on the prop shaft, give 'em a shot of grease if possible. Run tires at maximum pressure when cold.

Don't expect good fuel mileage. Using cruise control in OD is possible. Watch for trans hunting and frequent downshifts with sudden jump in engine speed. If this begins, drop out of OD.

Final tip.....Occupy the RH lane and don't exceed the speed limit.

Have a safe trip.

With 4.88 gears, and not knowing what tires are to be on the truck, you're spinning a lot more rpm than what these trucks normally want to see unless mostly on secondary roads where speeds are slower. Imo, thats pretty hard on these engines. Another words your truck is going to be hard pressed not to pass a gas station.

@tacojoel Agreed.

He is already dealing with reduced fuel mileage at 15 mpg with a Leer shell. Pulling near or at max capacity he will probably drop into the single digits for fuel efficiency.

He isn't running oversize tires. In the 3rd paragraph, he states Duratrac 285/75R-16 E load. The big penalties in fuel economy are the 2.5" lift and the 4.88s.

Can't say what engine he has......not stated, but I'm assuming the 4.0L V-6.

At any rate a duratrac 285/75 16 is a fairly large heavy tire especially when installed on a tacoma. They suck gas like no tomorrow, and make a lot of tire noise. I once had duratracs on my tundra...loved the traction in snow, and mud, but hated the fuel economy, and noise on the highway they made.

@tacojoel Agreed.

He is already dealing with reduced fuel mileage at 15 mpg with a Leer shell. Pulling near or at max capacity he will probably drop into the single digits for fuel efficiency.

He isn't running oversize tires. In the 3rd paragraph, he states Duratrac 285/75R-16 E load. The big penalties in fuel economy are the 2.5" lift and the 4.88s.

Can't say what engine he has......not stated, but I'm assuming the 4.0L V-6.
Correct, the 4.0L V-6.

I defiantly saw a reduction of about 3 MPGs after the lift and regear. I switched from BFG KO2s at the same time as the lift and regear, so I really can't say if it was a factor or not.

At any rate a duratrac 285/75 16 is a fairly large heavy tire especially when installed on a tacoma. They suck gas like no tomorrow, and make a lot of tire noise. I once had duratracs on my tundra...loved the traction in snow, and mud, but hated the fuel economy, and noise on the highway they made.
I can't say if the duratracs were or would be any different on the my MPGs vs. what I was running before. However, I did switch to duratracs from KO2s at the same time as lifting and re-gearing, so hard to say for sure, but maybe have been a factor. My last 3 sets on the truck have been the BFG KO2s. I think the KO2s have always been a little bit louder on the highway compared to the duratracs. I switched to the duratracs to see what else is out there, plus they are an AT tire with a warranty. After about 10k miles on them, I feel like they wear down a bit slower, ride about the same, are a little quieter (still loud) and handle snow pretty comparable. Any personal experience with Toyo's ATs in comparison with the duratracs and KO2s?

Cheers!

FWIW, my truck had a set of GY Wrangler SRA when purchased......steer clear of these. They have poor grip on anything but dry roads.

Our Chevy Trailblazer has a set of Michelin Defender LTXs. Its a 2wd and will walk thru snow that my truck struggles with in 4wd. I've had several sets of Michys on different vehicles. They are the best tires I've ever owned. I just need to wait about another year for these current tires to wear out.

Anyhow, you might consider Michy the next time around. They do offer AT type tires.

I can't say if the duratracs were or would be any different on the my MPGs vs. what I was running before. However, I did switch to duratracs from KO2s at the same time as lifting and re-gearing, so hard to say for sure, but maybe have been a factor. My last 3 sets on the truck have been the BFG KO2s. I think the KO2s have always been a little bit louder on the highway compared to the duratracs. I switched to the duratracs to see what else is out there, plus they are an AT tire with a warranty. After about 10k miles on them, I feel like they wear down a bit slower, ride about the same, are a little quieter (still loud) and handle snow pretty comparable. Any personal experience with Toyo's ATs in comparison with the duratracs and KO2s?

Cheers!
I ran a set of general AT2 grabbers on my tundra which similar to the ko2's. I never run E rated tires as they're heavy, plus I don't need anything like that for my trailering. The generals were unreal in deep snow, but scary when on any ice. Right now I'm running all season tires on my gen3 tacoma 4wd sr5. This tacoma works better in snow, and mud with all season tires than my tundra ever did with the grabbers, or duratracs. I'd rather give up then cool look of big ass aggressive tires in favor of 22-23 mpg I'm getting from these all season tires.

Back