Toyota Pickup 1993

Tara

I have a 1993 Toyota Pickup that I'm reporting abandoned today. The body is in great shape and it's a pretty looking truck. Long story short, my [now] ex took off with my Jetta and left his truck here without ever coming back for it (because he took my car and, no, I hadn't put the VW in my name because I believe he wrecked it already about a month after he left). I've been told by several people that, in order to get the title, I have to report it abandoned... which is my intention sometime today. I don't know anything about cars or trucks, as that was my ex's thing. I will take pictures of the interior and exterior of the truck but I can start by saying that it doesn't run. It needed a new head and I was under the impression that my ex had fixed it. Unfortunately, during that time he ended up relapsing and meth and he's an IV drug user... so not long after that, he went into a meth-induced psychosis.... Which also means that he got a little overzealous with the work that he'd been doing. After he'd left and I had a chance to assess the situation with it, I noted that there is no ignition and the front seat of the truck is in my garage. I could've sold it a while ago but need to get the title, which is what I'm beginning the process on today. I considered scrapping it, maybe selling the tires because they're new but several people told me I should try to sell it as is because people like them? I'm not sure what to do except to find someone who has a love for Tacomas... except this is a "Toyota Pickup."

I could use some input (or a buyer, ha ha)... Thanks!

Unless you have a title for the truck, good luck trying to sell it, unless just for parts. I had a blue 93 v6 4x4 Toyota pickup without ac. It wasn't a horrible truck, just way underpowered. I think in the 2wd version it'd be fine.

When you get the title, then move forward with advertising it for sale "as is". No need to go into the details about your ex. That has no bearing on the truck.

Pictures and good description of the known condition. Do not speculate on what might need work.

Go into Kelly Blue Book or similar to find the market value. Use the Poor Condition price and go a little under. Be prepared the potential buyer will likely offer less than your asking price. You need to negotiate from there.

Protect yourself. Write a Bill of Sale which states the sale is an "AS IS" sale with no return. The Bill of Sale needs to include date, price and signatures of both seller and buyer. CASH ONLY. If they want to make payments, then let them walk. You are not a bank. No cashier checks or 2nd party checks. CASH is king. Anything else walks. Give a copy of the Bill of Sale to the buyer and keep one yourself.

Don't worry, it will sell.

Sorry about your troubles with the ex. You are in a better situation without those burdens.

FWIW, if the Jetta was not titled in your name, then you have no claim to it. If the Jetta is titled in the ex's name, then the ex has the responsibility.

Good Luck

Unless you have a title for the truck, good luck trying to sell it, unless just for parts. I had a blue 93 v6 4x4 Toyota pickup without ac. It wasn't a horrible truck, just way underpowered. I think in the 2wd version it'd be fine.
Good point. If she was serious she would have applies for a "lost title" from the DMV and then advertise it.

Back