Toyota's best engine made failed! Gen2 2.7L 2tr-fe

I've seen tacomas here with small plow's. They do only homeowners driveways.
Good honest video. Btw jay...did you get all that about used up tacomas?

I'll have to rewatch it to see what the used up tacomas reference is about
probably missed it since i was trying to eat dinner and watch at the same time lol

that repair cost nearly $7,500 on a 4cyl AT taco with 170k miles IIRC

Last edited:
one thing i remember being mentioned were the bolts on the driveshaft were very tight and over-torqued, maybe they were loosey goosey at one time like my relatives '11 4cy AT might be that are supposed to be checked routinely and someone overtightened them so they would not wiggle loose again?

and a very good view of what Illinois rust looks like underneath it all

Interesting vid.

I saw many indications of poor maintenance and primarily a vehicle working outside of its capability. Yet, the truck did endure 175,xxx miles.

Gives testament to Toyota and the engineers to the durability of their products.

The mechanic took the wise path.....just replace with a short block. Saved much time and expense.

the V6 Taco engine is not nearly as cumbersome to remove from AT tranny like this 2.7 appears to be

would the V6 be better suited for a snowplow

It would be better than the 4 cyl. But it takes more than just an engine.

Weight, traction, torque.

IMHO, a Tacoma or any mid-size truck is a poor choice. Minimum the full size truck should be a 3/4 ton with a big displacement V-8 with 4WD and a bed loaded with about 500+ lbs.

Snow is heavy, hard to push and slippery. Early Fall or late Spring snow is mix of slush, water, snow. Winter snow isn't so heavy. But you get 6" in front of an 84" wide plow, then you are pushing many pounds of snow with marginal traction.

Last edited:
I'll have to rewatch it to see what the used up tacomas reference is about
probably missed it since i was trying to eat dinner and watch at the same time lol

that repair cost nearly $8,000 on a 4cyl AT taco with 170k miles IIRC
Idk if I were to do it. What if something major like the transmission takes a dump...he did say this truck has been run hard. I can tell you transmissions don't like a lot of hard work. Best this owner can hope now is not to be nickel, and dime to death.

The transmission would be highly taxed during plowing. High loads, always shifting from Forward to Reverse, without full stops......

The entire drivetrain will be heavily loaded. Diffs, Xfer Case, Axles, Drive shafts, Brakes.

Idk if I were to do it. What if something major like the transmission takes a dump...he did say this truck has been run hard. I can tell you transmissions don't like a lot of hard work. Best this owner can hope now is not to be nickel, and dime to death.

Nickel and dime these days is approximately 700$ ?

Interesting vid.

I saw many indications of poor maintenance and primarily a vehicle working outside of its capability. Yet, the truck did endure 175,xxx miles.

Gives testament to Toyota and the engineers to the durability of their products.

The mechanic took the wise path.....just replace with a short block. Saved much time and expense.

what kind of indications of poor maintenance?

would it lead to the failure of the HG?

what kind of indications of poor maintenance?

would it lead to the failure of the HG?
Most likely over heating. Toyota man said nothing about pressure testing the head which I would of had done for sure, just for peace of mind if nothing else, but took the chance the head gasket was it, which it turned out to be.

yes, all i saw the car care nut do was those feeler gauges to see if warped or not?

maybe NEVER fully changed out that Toyota SLL coolant?
Turnt acidic?

Last edited:
maybe NEVER fully changed out that Toyota SLL coolant?
Turnt acidic?
Idk, that orange/red coolant toyota uses seems to last forever. I had almost 300k miles on my tundra in 19 years. Except for water pump, and timing belt changes, I never got a bill from the dealer for coolant, and I never changed it myself. I'm assuming it was just topped off as part of the timing belt/water pump kit job.

Back