Tranfer gear... having issues? or not having issues?

I use to have a customer that was always wanting to buy the latest greatest model out there, but claimed he was still researching the item interested in. Near the end of the year, I asked if he decided what yet...answer I got was still researching it. A couple months later he called to tell me, he'll wait till next year when a new model shows up with all the newer upgrades. This bs went on for years till the guy became ill, and passed away never getting anything.

whut the puck is your point ? ?

i wish to learn more about this transfer gear

I guess you could always enroll in one of those auto tech training schools rather than getting a lot of misinformation on these internet sites.

the auto tech training schools that educate you on the HOW-TOs of reinstalling a wheelhouse liner and throttle cable back in its proper spot ? ? ? just the way you found it when you took it apart ? ? ?

Last edited:
Things to observe the next time you are under the truck.

Follow the power train back to the rear wheels. Start at the engine. You will see in this order. Engine, transmission, transfer case, prop shaft, differential and finally the rear axle.

There are shafts, spindles, bearings, gears in the transfer case spinning to apply power to the prop shaft when in 2wd.

Now, look at the transfer case. You will see a shaft going forward to the front. The order from Xfer case forward is drive shaft, front differential, axles, front wheels.

The drive shaft only has power when the xfer case has been engaged. The power is transferred to the drive shaft by a chain. One end of the chain is on the spindle applying power to the rear. So, the chain is always moving (ie rotating).

So, considering the miles you have......the chain may well be worn. Simply by the millions of rotations.

To my knowledge, there is no way to detect the amount of chain wear short of dropping the Xfer case to crack it open.

There maybe a Junior College offering car maintenance classes. It could be a good way to shorten your learning curve.

Thank you for the education!
I learned a new thing or two

Last edited:
Some of the transfer case gear components are always spinning as long as the truck is in motion. It's more than just the chain that wears, only that imo the chain is the weakest link inside. I've seen these chains fail taking out everything including the case their in.

best to keep the fluid changed at a routine interval? and keep on wheelin' ?

Everything has a service life whether you want to believe, or not. It doesn't matter how often you replace the fluid when your at the mileage you are.

Back