Tranfer gear... having issues? or not having issues?

Those Denver holes were worse than ANY hole I've hit in Iowa to the best of my recollection

I swear these Denver holes were wheel deep at the bridges
No real way to avoid them either in heavy fast traffic

My man tacojohn in Denver

Problem with Japanese owned companies, generally the cost of replacements parts triple once these vehicles become out of date...scarce. With the labor rates today, and if you're not able to do the work yourself, it can be crazy to keep a vehicle 20 years or more. I saw the writing on the wall with property tax's on my old tundra...the truck was assessed way higher than what that 19 year old truck was worth, plus the repairs needed were more than the truck was worth. Last thing I wanted was to get into a hole, and still have an old truck that wasn't worth much, only to me. When it comes to vehicles I have no sentimental attachment.

old tundra's must not have much value then? well that rather stinks
does the same go for the T100s from the 90s? or do U know

these old Gen1 Taco's must be a phenomenon on their actual worth that the books and other instances prove with little doubt to the contrary
even though you doubt and i doubt at times, its still very much a reality the prices these old tacomas are fetching out there current for those intrested in smaller ez maintenance trucks that don't seem to quit or whatever it could just be the sharp looks of them that no Gen2 or Gen3 could ever ever hope to match for some

i would seriously doubt that chain but ya never know... so HOW exactly would you check the chain inside there for proper operation
tacoJohn in Denver has 739k on his original transfer case and some odd noise just popped up on him... still waiting to see his reply on TW if the issue has been resolved or not

i did have to use the case to the extreme earlier this year whilst in Montana and Wyoming snow-packed slick winter roads
so i will guesstimate it was in 4wd all the time for nearly 3000 miles give or take a few hundert

seals on transfer case gen1 were noted as good condition and did not need new ones put in

Seals of the transfer case would be the least of any issues with high mileage...its the chain inside that stretches, and wears out. I have seen a number of these chains have broken links eventually causing catastrophic failures.

Last edited:
since it is all apart already it is good time to replace those seals i have previously read all about it

zero reports found at that other rag of that event occurring on the gen1 tacoma

I'd be fully rebuilding the transfer case on any vehicle with that many miles if a daily driver. Heck...if a tired chain explodes, its going to take out everything in there.

how does one EVEN identify that to be an issue ? ? ?

I'd be fully rebuilding the transfer case on any vehicle with that many miles if a daily driver. Heck...if a tired chain explodes, its going to take out everything in there.

I'm not under your truck, or in it to check out how the transfers case is operating. if noisy, or erratic operation between 2wd-4wd, and 4lo...you got a problem. I would guess with that many miles...there's some worn out parts in there. They're no different than the transmission, just less components to fail.

I shall need to find some slippery and test 2wd to 4wd hi lo
I have not had issues with it yet over the decades in the snowy
It Was extensively used 13 months ago in Colorado Wyoming Montana

Doesn't matter when 4wd functions are used, or not. Components in the transfer case are always spinning every time you drive that truck.....in 2wd or 4wd.

i am now intrested in finding the transfer case literature in the FSM and photoShopping the pages to post up for your evaluation and my education

for a noob to any of this it definitely is RS lmao

Back