What are Gen2 Issues? I'm looking to buy.

RVan

I've decided to leave the Gen1 trucks alone because of the 4-sped automatic. The potential difficulty with this is that most the the Gen2 crew cabs I've found available feature the larger 4.0 L instead of the 2.7 L but this may be how the crew cab was always equipped.

I've learned the frame was still an issue but how far into the Gen2 model years? I've used the Carfax VIN check for open recalls and wonder if this is sufficient for the evaluating this issue. If not, what is the best method to determine if the frame was replaced? That is apart from visually inspecting it...

Our needs are: Crew Cab, auto is best but not mandatory, 4WD, A/C, bed length does not matter.

Please advise, caution or warn if necessary. I will restrict my attention to the known good model years.

Edit - The long bed crew/double cab will be best for our needs but I need to know overall vehicle length. Is it too long for our attached garage?

Last edited:
I have a 2015 double cab 4x4 auto with 5' bed 4.0L and it barely fits in my 3 car garage. If it were a 6' bed I could get it in but would have no room to get around it.
No issues after 36.000 miles other than the paint on the doors was too thin and warranty paid to re-clear coat them. Some of the white Toyotas including Tacomas had this issue which was not a recall but taken care of under warranty. White was the only color for this issue and it was just the clear coat not base coat.

What about those nasty daytime running lights turn signal housing in the front that burn and crack the lens, were those fixed by the '15 MY

What about those nasty daytime running lights turn signal housing in the front that burn and crack the lens, were those fixed by the '15 MY
Never had an issue with that. My truck sits outside with our summers ranging from 95 to 110 degrees for 3 to 4 months.

OP. When you find a truck. Have the dealer run the VIN to make a print out of the service records.

There were several recalls (EO2, D0L, C0B. 90L, 60E, LSD ESD). These may/may not apply to all Gen2 years. You will also get a full record of any service any dealer performed.

FWIW, I'm not sure if the Double cab was available with the 6' bed. I think Double cab w/5' bed shares the same frame with the Access Cab w/6' bed. That maybe the longest combination.

Good Luck with your hunt.

I just bought my 2nd Gen. 2015 with 46k miles. I've only had it for 2 months. I love this thing.

12.5mpg in town. Haven't tested it on long trips yet.

I just bought my 2nd Gen. 2015 with 46k miles. I've only had it for 2 months. I love this thing.

12.5mpg in town. Haven't tested it on long trips yet.

did you get yer rig out into that blizzard?

Back