Why do you drive a manuel transmission ?

Sure is lot more parts in these yota transmissions than the old muncie 4 speeds I use to rebuild in my drag car.

what do you all suggest would be best kit for the longevity to go another 200k+ miles?
there are several out there

Last edited:
All the bearings in your transmission are near the end of their useful life to. It'd be crazy to do 1/2 the job, then put back a tired transmission. While at it, how long to you expect the engine to last?...its on borrowed time to. While your digesting all this, your transfer case, and differentials are all very tired also. How about giving those bearings, and gears a little love, before replacing one part at a time?

Last edited:
i did have this into a certified transmission shop back in March when rattle first heard and became a concern
they found not a thing wrong with the transmission!
paid good coin for nothing more than a tweak of the exhaust hangar that might be rattling against something in the RPM range of concern

Last edited:
so my rig's manual transmission clutch is near the end of its useful life... major bearing rattle amongst other oddities popping up recently
it has not ever slipped and engine revved in higher gears up a hill which baffles I, i thought that there would be the end of its usefulness
made it almost 26.5 years and 337k buteful taco miles :)
its gonna hurt the pokcetbook to get it replaced... could be near 2000$ in all but hopefully not that much... estimated time to R&R is six hours
i have porked out a good chunk for new OEM yota parts BUT one crucial part (clutch cover/pressure plate) is on backOrder until Febr-'24 now
will have to look into a complete clutch kit that has that part in the aftermarkets

what do you all suggest would be best kit for the longevity to go another 200k+ miles?
there are several out there
Replace the clutch Jay and keep on truckin...

1697552239575.png

i did have this into a certified transmission shop back in March when rattle first heard and became a concern
they found not a thing wrong with the transmission!
paid good coin for nothing more than a tweak of the exhaust hangar that might be rattling against something in the RPM range of concern
Don't say no one recommended it. I've seen the insides of manual transmissions with a 150k on them. Many are in need of major work at that point when the fluid is not replaced.

MT fluid changed on schedule every 30k to 50k or a bit longer
Currently it has in there some redline mt50, which much reduced the cold weather winter stiffies in that stick

Back