Windshield leak -- what else to ask for in the repair?

klein5jck

In mid-July I acquired a 2020 Tacoma. All was good the first 5 weeks. Then the day after a torrential rainstorm, both key fobs stopped working at the same time. Took it to the dealer (not a Toyota dealer) from which I purchased the vehicle (it came off a lease from one of their service techs), and my request to please check for moisture in and around the fuse box was dismissed outright.

A couple days later the fobs were working again, but the next day they weren't, and the outside temperature was showing -40F. It was 78F outside. I changed the batteries in the fobs to rule that out. Still not working. But the next day they worked again.

I talked to an independent repair shop, and then took it over the local dealer. Dealer service rep noticed that the windshield was not factory original and surmised that there might be a leak. The next day there was another heavy rain and I noticed water in the cab, driver side.

Took it back to the original seller/dealer, and despite their insistence that it was a key or key fob issue, they did finally take a look -- and yup, replacement windshield wasn't installed correctly about three months ago and there IS a leak. I have the vehicle back for the weekend, but have an appointment Tuesday for the windshield to be replaced again. Service at seller/dealer says they'll check junctions, but I think the fuse box needs to be replaced to be sure.

Thoughts? I'm still in the lemon law window -- and electrical issues definitely impact safe operation of vehicle. What other specific things would you ask to be replaced/checked.

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
Lemon laws are for total reimbursement of the vehicle, or replacement, if the vehicle is found in some manor unsafe to operate. The dealer usually has 3 times to fix the issue within a year, or two depending on the state its sold in. Only then if still unsatisfactory, a lemon law can be filed. They are not there if someone buys a vehicle, then needs repairs for whatever reason. If the buyer has some sort of warranty when they originally purchased the vehicle, take it back to that dealer, and have them fix it.

Lemon laws are for total reimbursement of the vehicle, or replacement, if the vehicle is found in some manor unsafe to operate. The dealer usually has 3 times to fix the issue within a year, or two depending on the state its sold in. Only then if still unsatisfactory, a lemon law can be filed. They are not there if someone buys a vehicle, then needs repairs for whatever reason. If the buyer has some sort of warranty when they originally purchased the vehicle, take it back to that dealer, and have them fix it.
Thanks. I misspoke/typed. I am definitely still in the time frame when the dealer/seller has to take care of the issue.

Back