2016 Engine Noise - Normal or Nightmare ?

Sounds like loose parts vibrating. Agree. Check the heat shields, exhaust hangers......

does this Gen have a shield right off the exhaust manifold like Gen1 does

Loose shields can do almost anything.

The exhaust shields on my truck made no noise until it decided to jump off the truck. I heard it hit the pavement. Turned around to collect it.

The next day I reinstallled it.

What ever it is it doesn't sound good. I have never owned a 2.7, only other 22re toyota trucks , but never heard that.
My 2017 sounds like a old tractor when start up. Had to Toyota dealership 3 times when bought new, said normal. Still does it- people ask what’s wrong with it. Seems it’s how these engines sound. You could have diff issue tho. Out of owning 7 Toyotas, first time sounds like this one.

Any reason a loose shield rattle would only last a few seconds on a cold start though?
The only reason I could think of is because it's cold and has not warmed up yet to operating temp

But Its likely not the exhaust 'probably'
I had them experts come under my truck to check the shields when the first rattle popped up on my rig back in the summer of '19
It finally broke in April '21 :confused: and then I found out what the racket was exactly

My 2017 sounds like a old tractor when start up. Had to Toyota dealership 3 times when bought new, said normal. Still does it- people ask what’s wrong with it. Seems it’s how these engines sound. You could have diff issue tho. Out of owning 7 Toyotas, first time sounds like this one.
The vvti engine?
My relatives '11 rig is sounding funky too in the cold start up
A loud ticking noise

Back