2017 Tacoma jerky and sporadic shifting.

I started a thread about the transmission, the engine and the axel wrap lol. That was 10 months ago. Lots of people having the same feelings and issues. The happy shifting, the clunk after stopping, the hesitation, the surging the noises and the smells. Lots of people seem to get use to it and start to enjoy the truck. Others they say F it and trade it in for a new 4Runner. Haha.

First check that the TSB on the transmission was done! That’s a huge improvement. I have a early 17 Pro and had to have the TSB done. Also when it gets around 15K mikes it will run much better. Mine was sucky at first too, 20,000 mikes and I love it!

Omg. I just noticed today the weird shifting/jerk and didn't think about that. What is winter blend? I filled up in Virginia so that makes sense but I'm in SC. Does it go away after I refill?
I have been noticing it for a while in mine and have even tried running 93 in it and still notice it. Some guys on here have advised it will go away with more miles (around 15-20k).

How many miles do you have? I have 5k.

I have been noticing it for a while in mine and have even tried running 93 in it and still notice it. Some guys on here have advised it will go away with more miles (around 15-20k).

How many miles do you have? I have 5k.

Roughly 11k. I only run 89 or higher. I noticed it when I bought my truck this time last year (new 2017 like yours) but it went away. IMG_0203.jpg

I have noticed as well (when pulling a utility trailer and UTV) that in ECT pwr it as as though it does not want to come out of gear and shift at times. It will nearly red line and keep high rpms when it does not need to.

That's the ECT doing what it's designed to do, change shift points so it stays in a gear longer before upshifting, this keeps your trans from shifting constantly , & heating up while towing, make sure you turn off the OD if so equiped...

Omg. I just noticed today the weird shifting/jerk and didn't think about that. What is winter blend? I filled up in Virginia so that makes sense but I'm in SC. Does it go away after I refill?
Has to do with the Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP). It’s a measure of how easily the fuel evaporates at a given temperature. Summer gas has a lower RVP to prevent excessive evaporation when outside temperatures rise. Winter blends do the opposite and can cause a decrease in mpg.

Nice truck. I am hoping mine straightens up as I love the truck. I see a lot of short beds in the OR but have not seen many long beds in that color.

2 of us on here will argue over who has the real unicorn of tacomas but I went to the dealership and told them: has to have a sunroof, 4x4, crew cab, hood scoop, long bed, and be that orange color....I REALLY wanted the matte grey that the pro comes in but they don't make the pro in a long bed:/ I had to wait over a month for it to arrive. Before, I had the same truck but an 06 in that bright blue with a lift and no sunroof.

2 of us on here will argue over who has the real unicorn of tacomas but I went to the dealership and told them: has to have a sunroof, 4x4, crew cab, hood scoop, long bed, and be that orange color....I REALLY wanted the matte grey that the pro comes in but they don't make the pro in a long bed:/ I had to wait over a month for it to arrive. Before, I had the same truck but an 06 in that bright blue with a lift and no sunroof.
I found that there were only 5 trucks like mine (TRD OR, ext. cab, 4x4, in the Inferno) in the southeast. Only one in NC and I was able to get it. Had a couple of dealers that had it, but was a short bed however did have the sunroof etc. Personally, I do not care either way on the sunroof, but really wanted the long bed. Not going to say it is a unicorn truck, but probably up there around the albino deer level as it was difficult to find and I have not seen another TRD OR longbed on the road around here...all have been shortbeds.

I had a 2010 sport in a longbed before and really enjoyed it. Really wanted the OR this time and so far really enjoying it.

I found that there were only 5 trucks like mine (TRD OR, ext. cab, 4x4, in the Inferno) in the southeast. Only one in NC and I was able to get it. Had a couple of dealers that had it, but was a short bed however did have the sunroof etc. Personally, I do not care either way on the sunroof, but really wanted the long bed. Not going to say it is a unicorn truck, but probably up there around the albino deer level as it was difficult to find and I have not seen another TRD OR longbed on the road around here...all have been shortbeds.

I had a 2010 sport in a longbed before and really enjoyed it. Really wanted the OR this time and so far really enjoying it.
I like my 2017 DCLB OR. I had 3 dealers looking for over 2 months and was told multiple times by multiple sales guys. “You’re looking for a unicorn man!” Lol. That’s why I named her Tacorna.

I like my 2017 DCLB OR. I had 3 dealers looking for over 2 months and was told multiple times by multiple sales guys. “You’re looking for a unicorn man!” Lol. That’s why I named her Tacorna.
Yeah, my wife can confirm that I'd someone tells me that I cannot...it is a good bet that I will. I had about 3 different dealers tell me that there is not one like I want or they could order one from Toyota, however the same dealer that we bought an FJ from years ago found this one. Great little truck and very sharp looking in the Inferno. I get compliments on it all the time, but definitely cuts down on any mischief or speeding as everyone knows who it is and it does not blend into traffic well. :)

Yeah, my wife can confirm that I'd someone tells me that I cannot...it is a good bet that I will. I had about 3 different dealers tell me that there is not one like I want or they could order one from Toyota, however the same dealer that we bought an FJ from years ago found this one. Great little truck and very sharp looking in the Inferno. I get compliments on it all the time, but definitely cuts down on any mischief or speeding as everyone knows who it is and it does not blend into traffic well. :)
Sore thumb out there haha

I was just about to start a thread but found this. I’m new to this forum. I own a 2018 Tacoma sport and experience this and it feels just wrong. I also have noticed a pause in the shifting of you have to lay into the gas.. really weird. These problems started and they told me the same thing they learn you as you drive. Well it started getting better kind of. I also had it lifted and then read into lifting it you should change the gears. So I went to a 4.88 and it has more power but seems worse off. I feel something is terribly wrong with the shifting and transmission but don’t even know where to start. Sometimes on the frwy I’ll play with it to test it and if I’m driving it to full extent it will drop at the top and just won’t shift and high rpms and the speed will actually slow down . I don’t drive it hard but if you need to give it gas you shouldn’t have to worry if it will fail you when you need it. Going to take it to Toyota. Any advice or anyone have the same issue??

Yeah...nature of the beast...took mine back the day after i bought it. Did the tranny upgrade and helped. I drove for a month mumbling under my breath saying theres gotta be something wrong with this thing. Gave me bad feeling up my spine. Got used to thats really how the transmission is and fell deeper in love[emoji8]

I just bought a 19 TRD off-road AT, with 26k and I had the pulsation at around 40mph, took it to Toyota and they said it was because of the tires were mud terrains in the rear and factory in the front [emoji23] didn't even notice mismatched tires when I bought it FML

Welcome.....go to the dealer ONCE,, then contact Corporate Toyota,,,3 year/36,,,,if they can’t fix it, contact a Lawyer and make them buy it back. That’s were I’m at for engine noise.

The shifting issue does get tiresome. Mine is a 2019 SR5 and it aggressively looks to upshift at any hint of easing on the throttle. I did see the OrangeVirus ECU flash speaks to remapping the shift points. Anyone give this a try? It’s $699 though and I’m guessing, not warranty friendly.

Back