2018 Tacoma safety sensor =No lift??

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by J.R., Nov 12, 2017.

1. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

I talked to some guys at the dealership about the TSS-P and mods. They say about the same thing, mods can mess it up but you can turn it off.
    My only concern would be if you or someone that didn’t know about it would forget to turn it off. That could make for a dangerous situation, especially at highway speeds.
    If I’m not mistaken don’t you have to turn it off every time you restart?

OR17TRD likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Yeah the entire situation sounds like a PITA.

Raeburn and Bogunn like this.
  4. iceaxe

iceaxe Member

When you turn the systems off they are turned off and do not reset when you restart the truck.

I can already tell you some if the systems like active cruise control and auto high beams will not be hampered by a lift.

My experience to date tells me the TSS-P system will be a non issue in 6 months when it's better understood. I think Toyota is just covering their ass at the moment as the system has never been rigorously tested in lifted mode. I could be wrong

Bogunn and OR17TRD like this.
  5. OR17TRD

It’s all knew territory. It’ll be interesting to see how all this progress.

Bogunn likes this.
  6. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

For sure.

7. iceaxe

iceaxe Member

So I've been playing with my 2018 with the TSS-P system for the past week and I can tell you the system isn't going to make a shit of difference when you lift your truck. Everything should work exactly as intended. But I do understand Toyota not wanting to accept liability if you mod your truck.

Bogunn likes this.
  8. Scuzzy

Scuzzy Well-Known Member

They have a TRD Pro in the ‘18, so lift, at least to 3”, is not an issue. Toyota does not want the liability, that is a joke, 2017s and below don’t have that crap. This is like my Traction Control delete. Someone here will come up with a fix or turn it off. Took a while but I got a TC delete done, and it only took half of y’all, a bit of testing and an epiphany from the Toyota gods to figure it out...lol

9. OR17TRD

Who’s they? Just curious. :)

10. snowsurfer29

snowsurfer29 Member

Every vehicle in the States will be getting this safety standard with more to come in the near future. All vehicles are to have the brake assist by 2018 and by 2020 how i understand it what i was told all vehicles will have lane assist. It a regulation that was put in affect. So if anything needs to be disabled may have to learn to do it or find a mechanic that might just do it. Unfortunately the sensors in the gas pedal, since there is no throttle cable from the pedal to throttle body for all 3rd gen will continue. The lack of power and delay in acceleration or lose of power will continue. I work along side the marketing reps for the auto shows, they know more than dealers. The self driving car will be officially on the market sooner than we think and what they say. So if you know anybody seeking a off road vehicle of any manufacture I’ll say 2018 will be the last before the computers take over the vehicles fully. So if anybody wants a off road vehicle tell them to buy 2015 or older in tacomas.

11. OR17TRD

My 2017 works great off roads and I can modify it with no TSS-P. 2015 and older?

Camren Harris and efinkens1 like this.
  12. Tacomainfo

Tacomainfo New Member

This has nothing to do with trying to avoid paying for warranty work. In 2019, Toyota is making safety sense standard on every vehicle they sell. This technology is expected to reduce rear end accidents by 50% according to experts. I agree it sucks they have not come up with a way to calibrate it for a lift kit. They will come up with something soon hopefully. Drive on!

13. OR17TRD

I understand that. I also know if you go forth with modifications before they figure it out you’re taking full responsibly of anything that goes wrong with those systems. You’ve now modified the vehicle and those systems are compromised.
    What other Tacoma info do you have? Seems like you’ve got the inside scoop on the haps. Welcome to the forum.
    Let’s see some pictures of your taco.

14. LOKi

LOKi Member

When I ordered my truck the other day I asked about the lifting issue. According to the sales guy (take that for what it's worth) they have fixed the issue. You would need to bring the truck back to the dealer to have it re-calibrated for the new height, is all.

AbsurdBuffalo and OR17TRD like this.
  15. AbsurdBuffalo

AbsurdBuffalo Well-Known Member

Yeah, they told me the same thing a few weeks ago when I picked up my 18. Said even if you have it lifted elsewhere, that they'll still calibrate it for a small fee.

OR17TRD likes this.
  16. OR17TRD

I want to know who has done this already and what their experience has been.

17. AbsurdBuffalo

I think there was a 3rd person on here that had a lift put on his 18, and had the sensors recalibrated. Said he didn't have any issues.

18. Pwhis

Pwhis New Member

How do the bigger tires affect it? Just took a 1100 mile trip in my stock 2018. On the interstate at 75 with the cruise set it barely wanted to shift out of 4th gear.

19. OR17TRD

The 2018’s do it too :( bummer.

Bogunn likes this.
  20. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Damn..

21. AbsurdBuffalo

#manualgearbox

Scuzzy and Crawdad like this.