'22 Tacoma

Cape taco

So while my '16 is getting new carpet , headliner , and and scrub of everything in the interior and they are running an ionizing machine ,due to a mold issue from the 3rd brake lite leak. They gave me a '22 loaner for 2 weeks. Not liking it ! Its a dble cab shorty Bounces way more than my long bed dble cab. And rides a lot stiffer. I like the power seat and electric slider back window. Its an SR5.took it on a 70 mile toad trip to friends over the weekend best mileage was 19.2 on cruise at 59 ? Seriously ? That disappointing. I get 26-28 in low 60s on highway in 5th in s-mode with ECT on. Ill keep my '16 Thank you very muck! And I did not like the car to car spacing in cruise control either

Last edited:
Dang!!!!

That fuel usage is pretty dismal. My '06 4.0L 4x4 with auto tranny gets 20-21 mpg running 70 mph. Much more than 70 mph, the fuel economy begins to dive into the dirt.

There are simple things to do in the effort to maximize your fuel economy.
Tire inflation,
engine maintenance
front end alignment
lightest load possible. run with the truck at minimum weight.
modifications. Frequently, common mods kill fuel economy.
speed.

Last edited:
Dang!!!!

That fuel usage is pretty dismal. My '06 4.0L 4x4 with auto tranny gets 20-21 mpg running 70 mph. Much more than 70 mph, the fuel economy begins to dive into the dirt.

There are simple things to do in the effort to maximize your fuel economy.
Tire inflation,
engine maintenance
front end alignment
lightest load possible. run with the truck at minimum weight.
modifications. Frequently, common mods kill fuel economy.
speed.

speed is most important to max it out

many of Iowa's Highways have a speed limit of 55mph
wheelin' those roads my 3.4 rig gets 24-26 mpg
haulin' the Iowa freeway speeds of 70 to 90mph it drops to near 20mph... depending on wind direction
that is nearly 100 more miles on a tank of tacoJuice by sticking to 55 or less

is the Gen2 V6 equivalent to the same?

Not totally correct.

Many IA roads are posted at 65 mph, Interstates are posted at 70 mph. Farm and 2ndary roads are posted at 55 mph. Nothing in IA is posted at 90 mph. 20 mph over the limit is likely a loss of license offense plus a hefty fine.

You don't want to crest a hill at 70 mph to come face to face with a wiiiddddeee piece of farm machinery. Think combines, plows, discs, harrows, planters, sprayers, grain wagons, mowers, tractors............... Many of these implements are over 40 feet wide when unfolded. When folded they are easily 12-15 feet wide with a maximum speed of 25 mph. The drivers of these beasts need to swing into the opposite side of the road to avoid hitting mailboxes, road signs, bridges, poles........ Few vehicles won't fair very well impacting one of these implements.

The Gen2 V-6 4.0L (1GR-FE) engine gives me 20-21 mpg running at 70 mph. I'm not on the other roads for enough distance to make a good determination of mpg. Most of the 55 mph posted roads are broken up with small towns every 10 miles or so. These towns are known speed traps. Many times, the speed limit will suddenly drop from the posted 55 mph to a 25 mph zone with little or no warning. Watch your speed when approaching, driving thru and departing these towns. The county sheriff is looking for something to do.

I found the fuel economy dash gauge can get skewed under certain conditions. Unless you do the actual math to calculate your mpg on trips, its just more bs.

Not totally correct.

Many IA roads are posted at 65 mph, Interstates are posted at 70 mph. Farm and 2ndary roads are posted at 55 mph. Nothing in IA is posted at 90 mph. 20 mph over the limit is likely a loss of license offense plus a hefty fine.

You don't want to crest a hill at 70 mph to come face to face with a wiiiddddeee piece of farm machinery. Think combines, plows, discs, harrows, planters, sprayers, grain wagons, mowers, tractors............... Many of these implements are over 40 feet wide when unfolded. When folded they are easily 12-15 feet wide with a maximum speed of 25 mph. The drivers of these beasts need to swing into the opposite side of the road to avoid hitting mailboxes, road signs, bridges, poles........ Few vehicles won't fair very well impacting one of these implements.

The Gen2 V-6 4.0L (1GR-FE) engine gives me 20-21 mpg running at 70 mph. I'm not on the other roads for enough distance to make a good determination of mpg. Most of the 55 mph posted roads are broken up with small towns every 10 miles or so. These towns are known speed traps. Many times, the speed limit will suddenly drop from the posted 55 mph to a 25 mph zone with little or no warning. Watch your speed when approaching, driving thru and departing these towns. The county sheriff is looking for something to do.

i have yet to see a 'usually rural' 2 lane with NO median Iowa state highway or US highway in Iowa have more than 55mph limit

US-18
55 limit
the small Iowa towns are the Best... F the interstate 80/35/29 highway most of the way

IMG_6723.JPG

Last edited:
The tacos don't like the cold for gas mileage either at 10-25° I've seen my mpg drop to 15-16 on the highway
Mine has been pretty steady at 19, and change every winter. It'll go up to 22 or a bit more once the summer temps are back. I haven't checked my tire pressure since a year ago. I'm guessing it could use a few psi.

:( Sunrise is behind the overcast sky ahead of the next snow storm. Yesterday, we had predictions of up to 10" snowfall. This morning, the prediction has dropped to 1-3". Seems the storm has tracked more East than early predictions. :D:D:D YAAAYYY!!! Go more East.......

Last edited:
Was pretty nice outside this afternoon like a spring day. Right now there's party going on outside at the neighbors. Stereo is blasting with some having too much tea.

Well.....the clean up after a snow storm is nearly complete.

Yesterday, we got 2.5" snow, Ames (10 mile South) got over 6". Major accident on I-35 near Ames involving 6 semi-trucks. Speed + snow/ice = bad juju.

This morning's wake up temperature is 0F, no wind. Just FN cold.

No dog walk this morning. Puppers did go out for about 2 minutes. Paws got cold, then he came in. You can tell when the paws get cold. The dog will try to walk carrying one leg in the air, then alternating with other legs. Now, he is curled up on his mat taking a snooze.

Neither of us like the 0F weather...............

The tacos don't like the cold for gas mileage either at 10-25° I've seen my mpg drop to 15-16 on the highway

One of the common habits that has a HUGE negative impact on fuel economy in winter driving is.........

Sitting in the driveway with the vehicle idling to warm up. STOP!!!! Remote starters have added to this habit by making it easy.

This habit is not necessary. The vehicle only needs to idle long enough for the oil to circulate, about 1 minute. In truth, the vehicle will warm up in less time if you just drive it easy for a couple miles. Drive like a turtle for a mile or 2, then drive like a rabbit.

This habit may have been helpful when vehicles had carburetors. The choke plate was controlled by the heat from the exhaust manifold.

The start process I use is.....get in the truck, shut off radio & accessories, start, fasten seatbelt, shift into gear, drive off easy. The reason to shut off all the accessories is so the limited battery power can all be used by the starter. Remember, battery cranking current falls as the temperature falls.

Florida is nice this time of year i have read about it, have yet to personally see it feel it

One of the common habits that has a HUGE negative impact on fuel economy in winter driving is.........

Sitting in the driveway with the vehicle idling to warm up. STOP!!!! Remote starters have added to this habit by making it easy.

This habit is not necessary. The vehicle only needs to idle long enough for the oil to circulate, about 1 minute. In truth, the vehicle will warm up in less time if you just drive it easy for a couple miles. Drive like a turtle for a mile or 2, then drive like a rabbit.

This habit may have been helpful when vehicles had carburetors. The choke plate was controlled by the heat from the exhaust manifold.

The start process I use is.....get in the truck, shut off radio & accessories, start, fasten seatbelt, shift into gear, drive off easy. The reason to shut off all the accessories is so the limited battery power can all be used by the starter. Remember, battery cranking current falls as the temperature falls.
i agree with your one minute wait on cold AF start, sometimes i got 2 minutes to spare
cab does not heat up through the vents though for 5 miles or so but not an issue over the decades

Back